re grundig conversion

Like B&Q for homebrew radios
Mike_K

Re: re grundig conversion

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Clive.

I see you are trying to get a10 channel Variophon. They are fairly easy to find if you know where to look and don't mind spending a few pounds. In fact I'd say it's one of the most numerous sets available

Go to ebay.de (the German eBay site), there is usually at least one for sale at any one time. Use Google translate to read it and make sure it's what you want and bid. And don't be put off by it saying they may not post to the UK. Contact the seller in German (as it is polite to use their language and you stand a better chance of getting a positive answer) and ask if they will ship to the UK. My German is non existent so I use Google translate and apologise that my German is poor. I'd say 90% of the time you'll get an answer in perfect English saying yes they'll post to the UK at additional cost. I've bought numerous items and it is as easy (ie the same) as using ebay.co.uk with the same user name and password.

My only word of slight caution is that PayPal is not compulsory in Germany and they often prefer a bank transfer. If you do online banking it is as easy to pay into a German account as making a payment in the UK. But contact your bank before you make the payment to ensure they don't think it's fraud. Don't ask how I know!!

Right at the moment there is one on ebay.de so have a try and if you miss out on that just keep looking, there'll be another listed fairly soon.

Cheers

Mike
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Hi Clive and Mike,

No, please don't split up a working system - I'm not that desperate for a 7-8 module! It was just a casual enquiry in case anyone had a spare!

And sorry, Clive, but my 10 channel is destined for a conversion. I'm working flat out on the model first, and its taking longer than expected, but once complete, the Tx is next on the job list! (And, yes, the clock is ticking!)

Not sure whether to follow i Mike's footsteps and remove the "cross" in the sticks or not. I normally fly mode 2, but when I upgraded my original Grundig from 4 to 8 channels, I had to switch to mode 1. It never gave me any problems on the Grundig, but I'm not sure I'd be comfortable flying propo that way! We'll see........

Cheers,

--
Pete
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Pete

What model are you building for the Variophon?

I'm doing things the wrong way around and converting the radio first. How slowly I build, I'll probably have a working Variophon on display at Ponty, but it'll be on a table with no model to go with it. I can't really turn up with a Variophon in a Wot4 can I?

I've fancied an Astro Hog and a Taurus for a while, so it'll be one of those two, I guess they're both suitable for reed type control?

Cheers

Mike
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

I'm building a Frog Jackdaw, Mike. Its taking a bit longer than planned, because the kit was designed to use a number of pre-fabricated parts, and the construction of these isn't always clear on the plan! And since one of them is responsible for keeping the wing on,I'm making sure I get it right!

If you want an aerobat for the Variophon, why not try a Caravelle? It was designed around Grundig gear. Shaun was flying a late version at Ponte a couple of years back, when I took the Kingpin up.

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8009

There was also a smaller version called the Floride, but I can't find any plans for that.

You might be able to find a kit on the German ebay site, but I would expect it to be expensive! Lovely models, though!

PS: There's a guy doing Caravelle wing rib sets on ebay!
--
Pete
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Pete

Caravelle it is then!

The ribs on ebay are by iGull who is on this forum and is about to 3D print an OS Pixie case I've drawn up and posted a picture on this forum (slope soarer section Phil_G double Pixie).

But I could try to cheat. Graupner did an artf version in 2013 and there are still a few around on ebay.de. Even I could screw an engine in and fit some servos by Ponty. Just got to persuade a seller to ship to the UK.

I've got an OS 60 Max-H gold head looking for a home, which I would think is about the right size.

Mike
F2B

Post by F2B »

Pchristy wrote: 13 Mar 2018, 16:54There was also a smaller version called the Floride, but I can't find any plans for that.
Surprise!
https://aerofred.com/details.php?image_id=99873
F2B or not to be....
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Well spotted! :)

Mike, The Caravelles were originally designed to fly on 45-49 size motors (think Merco 49!). A few people fitted them with 61s back in the day, and they were "adequately" powered on those! A modern Schnuerle ported 45-50 is about the same power as an older cross-flow 61, and would provide plenty of power.

I have a Spacewalker with a Super-Tigre 45 in it, which swings a 12x6 prop at almost exactly the same rpm as my old Webra 61!

Of course there's nothing stopping you putting a modern 61 in the front, but its likely to be a bit nose heavy and might be a handful on reeds! :shock:

Enjoy!

--
Pete