re grundig conversion

Like B&Q for homebrew radios
chlluk

re grundig conversion

Post by chlluk »

Hi
I have a 4 channel Grundig Variophon Tx ready for conversion using the Arduino reed encoder.
The joystick is straight forward however the push button trim control has problems.
If I wire one pole of each push button together to form an input to the Arduino and the remaining outputs to +/- respectively it resembles a toggle switch setup. This setup should work but it lends itself to a short circuit if both switches are pressed at the same time by accident. Is there a solution.
Clive
chlluk

Re: re grundig conversion

Post by chlluk »

Phil_G wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 00:08 Hi Clive, just put a 1k in series with the pos to the buttons.
Or, use one button for trim (Tiny-6 style) and the other for a spare channel.
Thanks
I had thought of a low profile momentary two way rocker switch in white to match the case.
Clive
chlluk

Post by chlluk »

When you say use one button for a spare channel, can a single push button operate a channel.
Clive
PS
how do you load a picture into this text box?
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

I thought I was going to be first with a Grundig conversion! :( I'm going to be starting work on a Variophon 10 channel shortly (got to finish the model first!).

I was going to use one button for "trim" - as suggested by Phil - and the other as either the "bind" button or maybe for S/C emulation (does the Reeduino do s/c emulation? I should check!). Probably the latter, as its a bit to easy to press accidentally for binding!

I still have my Grundig-8 channel set that I've owned from new, and still working fine! I only have receiver modules for six channels, though! If anyone has a spare 7-8 receiver module, I'm interested! :)

I keep getting tempted to build a model for it and fly it again, as 27 MHz seems virtually empty these days!

--
Pete
chlluk

Post by chlluk »

Hi Pete
I will look in my Grundig stuff, I should have a 7/8 filter unit.
I would like to P/M your re your 10 channel Tx , I have been looking for one for a long time.
Clive
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Clive, please do PM me! I've been a Grundig fan for years! They were brilliant radios in the their day - probably the most reliable of their time!

My own set started life as a 4 channel, with a single stick. Both the Tx and Rx were modular, and after a couple of years, I bought the conversion kit for the Tx, which took it up to 8 channels, and an extra module for the receiver, taking it to 6.

A few years back, I took it along to club night at the Chesham club, and showed it all working. Mike_K on here was also a member, and was so inspired, he started hunting one down for himself. He managed to get hold of more than one, and kindly donated a non-working 10 channel transmitter to me. That is the one I intend to convert. I'm keeping my original one - er - original, as it still works just fine!

Unlike "reed" outfits of the day, the Grundig used electronic tuned filters. They also used much wider frequency "tones" than their American counterparts, which is why they were never sold in the USA. They didn't meet FCC requirements.

However, the use of higher and wider spaced audio frequencies meant that any transmitter would work any receiver, without needing to be "matched". It also gave them much better immunity to spurious interference. In other words, it was a system that was optimised for radio control purposes, rather than one that had to fit into an existing band plan designed for speech purposes (CB).

Cheers,

--
Pete
chlluk

Post by chlluk »

I have sent you a PM let me know if you get it.
Clive
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Hm! Nothing turned up yet, Clive.

Ron: Is the PM system working?

--
Pete
chlluk

Post by chlluk »

Hi Pete
I do have a 7/8 filter but its part of Superhet Rx group , no spare Im afraid.
Clive
ps
Would you consider an offer for the 10 channel Tx?
Been looking for one for years
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Pete

Have you started the Variophon conversion yet? You better get started as its only a few months to Ponty and we'll all be wanting to see it fly!

If you have no luck with a Varioton 7-8 I have two working ones, but both as part of a complete working flight packs which I'd prefer not to split up. But if that meant seeing you flying it on 27MHz at Ponty well...

I started converting one of my Variophon 10S a couple of weeks ago, but then the "beast from the east" arrived and I gave up as my workshop was below freezing with two fan heaters on full blast. I'm cheating and have removed the "cross shaped gate" from the joysticks so I can move them into the corners and fly mode 2 (I can get ail and ele at the same time on the right hand stick).

The switch contacts were a pig to clean, I had to take the joystick assemblies far more to pieces than I really wanted, but have now got all working OK.

And to cheer up the Graupner Variophon fans up I've attached a photo of some of mine - I think I've got 7 Variophons of different types (10S, 8S, 4 channel in the small case and the original 8 channel) plus the one I'm converting. Two of the Variophon 10S work, one with a superhet Rx the other with the superegen Rx.

Cheers

Mike
Graupner Grundig Variophons
Graupner Grundig Variophons
Graupner Varioton Flight Pack
Graupner Varioton Flight Pack