FrSky Antenna Mount

Like B&Q for homebrew radios
Scott Todd

FrSky Antenna Mount

Post by Scott Todd »

I noticed in the instructions that came with the DHT module that the Antenna should NOT touch metal. Is this really the case? I was going to mount it to an old Kraft box that is aluminum. I'm tight on space because of the meter but could make some wood or plastic spacers I suppose.

From my 40 year old Electronnics training and Basic knowledget o pass the HAM test, i figured the ground plane would be better.

I have looked at pictures of other installations, including Phil's 71 Kraft and it looks like some are mounted to the metal box.

Thoughts or comments?

Scott
RON
Site Admin

Re: FrSky Antenna Mount

Post by RON »

Hi Scott,

I think the Frsky instructions are referring to the actual antenna and not the mount,
I nearly always use metal enclosures for my projects and never had any issues threading the antenna mount through the casing.

Ron
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Same with me, I use Orange DSM2/DSMX modules and always mount the antennas on the metal casing with no issues.

Frank
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

The SMA antenna base is Ok to touch the metal case? is that correct?
Cheers,

Dave
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Me too, I've a mixture of metal and plastic cases, (and one cardboard :D ) and no problems with a grounded (or not) aerial connector. Dave if the shoulder touches the metal case thats fine but do make sure that it can screw on fully so that inside, the central pin is definitely inserted. Where the stub connector goes through a thick case, hence only a few threads showing, its possible that the aerial shoulder hits the case before its fully screwed on and electrically connected. Removing the washer helps Image
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

Thanks Phil,
In that case I will turn up a new nut that looks like the original antenna base, it will act as a spacer for the hole in the case (a little larger than the SMA) that way it wont take up any extra of the thread the antenna will need.
Cheers,

Dave