Multi protocol modules

Like B&Q for homebrew radios
chlluk

Multi protocol modules

Post by chlluk »

Hi All
Anyone tried one of the new multi protocol Tx RF modules, do they work?
Clive
Martin

Re: Multi protocol modules

Post by Martin »

I've got one of these in my Taranis and I use it to fly all my models. It works great and supports two-way-telemetry etc. for receivers with those features. I've not noticed any reduction in range compared to 'standard' transmitters when flying FlySky, FrSky (V, D, and X receivers), Spektrum (DSM2 and DSMX), Corona, and a few other oddball ones that the small ready-to-fly helicopters and multicopters use.

If I was buying one now I'd get this updated version - it uses an STM32 microcontroller in place of the Atmel ATmega on the older one - works the same but has the advantage of more memory so it can hold more operating modes at the same time.

https://www.banggood.com/2_4G-CC2500-NR ... rehouse=CN

With the Taranis running a recent version of OpenTx, you just leave the dial on the multi-protocol module set to zero, and then you choose the protocol to use for each individual model memory from the Taranis menus. You don't need to use the 'bind' button either - you can bind in the normal Taranis way from the model setup pages.

If you're using an older or home-brew transmitter, you can select any of fifteen different protocols by setting the dial to positions 1, 2, 3, ... F There are more than fifteen protocols available and you can choose which protocols occupy which dial positions by connecting the module to a USBASP with the old version - I don't know how you do the newer STM32 one but I guess it's similar.

It's fairly technical changing the protocols - but the boards come out of the box with fifteen of the most common ones already enabled.
chlluk

Re: Multi protocol modules

Post by chlluk »

Great, I will give it a go, I should have the latest version its only just arrived from banggood.
Rergards
Clive