An issue with an OrangeRx DIY module

Like B&Q for homebrew radios
Mike_K

An issue with an OrangeRx DIY module

Post by Mike_K »

I had my first "failure" with an OrangeRx module in my converted Skyleader on Saturday. I was flying DLG gliders at the time and launched only to find the glider was at a very unusual attitude and not responding to my commands. Luckily I had set the failsafe to put the flaperons fully down and the elevator beyond the normal full up and it came down like a free flight glider with a de-thermaliser and no damage was done.

But what had gone wrong? I tried another model without success so it was obviously a transmitter fault. Back in the workshop I found that the ppm wire soldered onto the module had fatigued and broken off. Looking at the pcb, there was no support for the wires, relying on all the wires supporting each other (the wires are all tie-wrapped together). Both power leads were also badly frayed and about to break of as well. It was an easy job to strip back all the wires and re-solder them and to support them I've used hot melt glue .

So if you fly with an OrangeRx DIY, please check the wires coming off the module.

Cheers

Mike

IMG_20180504_230229_resized_20180506_080838311.jpg

IMG_20180505_000333_resized_20180506_080839176.jpg
tiptipflyer

Re: An issue with an OrangeRx DIY module

Post by tiptipflyer »

I am using more than 20 Orange DIY modules in different conversions and homebrew transmitters. The connections are the first thing I check, when installing a new module. I had one, where one of the cable were already loose on a brandnew module. So a brief check is always a good idea and resolder if necessary.

Frank
Stew

Post by Stew »

I have had this issue with FrSky hack modules too. Wires coming away after just a few pulls. Needed careful re-soldering.
Martin

Post by Martin »

I always try to provide some strain relief for wires soldered to PCBs by covering the first few millimetres of wire and a bit of the PCB they're attached to, with hot glue from a hot glue gun. It doesn't look pretty but it adds reliability.

Hot glue is better for this than some glues which set rock hard. It's better for the support material to have a slight 'give' when it tapers down to the wire - you don't want a hard edge where the support ends or any vibration will eventually cause the wire to crack there.

Also, if you later need to replace the wire - perhaps after years of use - the hot glue can be peeled away leaving the PCB fairly clean for easy re-soldering: some other materials that can be used for wire support aren't as easy to remove.
Stew

Post by Stew »

Will have to get myself a glue gun. Can anyone recommend one that doesn't knack up after 2 uses?
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Stew wrote: 08 Jan 2019, 20:44 Will have to get myself a glue gun. Can anyone recommend one that doesn't knack up after 2 uses?

I bought one from Lidl and it’s been great. The glue sticks are a bit on the large side though. Also they do nice glue with red glitter in it :D
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

I've also had similar issues with Frsky DIY modules & bind boards, as well as several brands of Ubec.

I always check the wire terminations, resolder as necessary, and reinforce with hot melt glue.
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Stew

Post by Stew »

Oooo red sparkles!
Martin

Post by Martin »

Make sure the sparkles don't conduct electricity!

I've got a couple of cheap hot glue guns (small and large) I think the bigger one was from Lidl or Aldi - the small one's so old I can't remember where I got it from.

I've never known them 'knack up' - just unplug them when you've finished - don't leave them on for ages or they get too hot. Just leave the glue stick in them when you switch off and it solidifies, then it remelts next time you use it. I sometimes go for many months, maybe years, between one use and the next and I've never had a problem using them like that.

A guy at the flying field had a 12V one that he'd fitted with an XT60 so he could drive it off any 3-cell LiPo. I almost wanted one myself, but then I thought how often do I want a hot glue gun at the field, and do I really want the extra clutter in my car or flying toolbox? I decided not to get one.
Stew

Post by Stew »

I bought one a few years ago, I think it was a Draper. Only lasted a couple of uses and then it expired for reasons lost to memory. I shall visit my local Lidl/Aldi.
The hard lads at school used to use them to see who could get the best blister...