FlySky RM003 RF Module & iA6/iA6B receivers

Like B&Q for homebrew radios
MaxZ

Re: FlySky RM003 RF Module & iA6/iA6B receivers

Post by MaxZ »

Hi Wayne,

Thank you, but binding to my Rx (the iA6A variant) seems to be ok now, judging by the led which has stopped flashing and is on continuously.

I had a hunch that the 4 channel format of Mike_K's sketch might be the problem, so I hooked the RM003 up to the trainer port of my i6 tranny, bound the Rx with the module, twiddled the sticks and voilá: movement on the pulses from the Rx. It seemed all very unstable, but that could have been the hookup.

I have now modified the sketch to a 6 channel ppm stream, and I am just about to get Mike's concurrence that I haven't omitted anything, then I will load it into the Arduino and test again.

To be continued.

Cheers,
Max.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Sounds promising - Cool ;)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

Hi all,

It looks like 6 channels is not the solution. With some help from Mike I changed the code and fed the 6ch ppm stream to the module (after checking it on the analyser first), same result as before: the Rx seems to bind, but all it delivers is a stationary 1.5 ms pulse on all servo outputs.
I am going to get help from someone with a Tx with interchangeable JR-style module, and see if the module functions properly.

Cheers,
Max.
MaxZ

Re: FlySky RM003 RF Module & iA6A/iA6B receivers

Post by MaxZ »

Question for Wayne or Phil: in normal operation, is the led on the module on continuously or is it flashing slowly like mine? (about 1 sec. period).

Cheers,
Max.
F2B

Post by F2B »

Slowly, on my RM003, ~1,5 sec period.

I'll bring everything to the Vintage Radio Assist meet (sort of a 'Dutch Ponty' ;) ), Saturday.
F2B or not to be....
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

I have given up on the RM003. I have replaced it with a Multiplex M-Link module I had laying around, a bit bulky and not quite what I intended, but at least I can now fly the Tomboy on Saturday at the VRA meet.
DSC03882.JPG
Bruno, if you have a Tx that the RM003 fits into, could you bring it on Saturday so we can test it before I discard it?

Cheers,
Max.
F2B

Post by F2B »

Of course!

I will bring my JR X-388S, my RM003 module and my iA6B receiver. We'll happily mix and match until OK.

Further, I'll bring my Dandy, the new (old) Piper J3 with single channel installment and my Little Black Box.
If the weather permits, I'll test fly the Piper with a FF-10 with FrSky module first.
I've set the dual rate + expo in such a way that if switched on it's like flying reeds.
If that responds well, I'll copy the center trims + travel into my Little Black Box an away we go.....
It's only 49 years since I've been flying single channel, so what could possibly go wrong? :lol: :o ;)
F2B or not to be....
F2B

Post by F2B »

Of course, when testing Max' module in my JR X-388S, everything sprang to life immediately.
My first hunch now is 'signal polarity?'.
Since my understanding of interrupt driven codes is less than zero, I can't be of any help here.

Mike and/or Phil?
F2B or not to be....
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Phil_G wrote: 03 Jun 2019, 08:58 It would be unusual for a present-day module to be polarity specific on its PPM input
I wouldn't be so certain Phil. Obviously, all DIY modules will work with either polarity and any separator pulse length (300uS or 400uS etc), but the people doing the firmware for a module designed for a specific type of transmitter may have made it fixed polarity and not have considered anybody using it for conversions.

I had a similar gotcha a while back. I'd bought an OrangeRx wireless USB dongle with FrSky protocol to practice flying S/C and reeds. As FrSky had by this time made their DIY module bind to V8 and D8 without moving the protocol switch I thought the same with the dongle, so left it in V8 protocol setting. Wrong, it had to be D8 protocol, though why D8 and not V8 I've no idea as there is no telemetry coming back from a USB dongle. But it still wouldn't work. Reading forums further I found that it needed 6 channels, 4, 5, 7 or 8 transmitted channels wouldn't work. Which is strange as by default FrSky transmits 8 channels. I think I've read somewhere that this has now been fixed. And I've no idea about the latest EU LBT mode.

So the simple motto "you can't assume anything" probably apply here. But that is part of the fun of converting transmitters, isn't it? :D

Mike
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

Since Mike brought it up in this topic: I can now report that either 6 channels or 9 channels is not the solution here, I have tried both now without success :(

Cheers,
Max.