OrangeRx DSM2/DSMX DIY back in stock

Like B&Q for homebrew radios
Mike_K

OrangeRx DSM2/DSMX DIY back in stock

Post by Mike_K »

The OrangeRx DSMX DIY modules are back in stock on the HobbyKing website. If they go as quickly as the FrSky DHT modules did, you need to be quick, I've got mine on order!

But they seem to have put the price up again, they cost more now than most 4-in-1 modules that do DSM2/DSMX as well as all the others like FrSky. But you can't beat the convenience. Or is the GBP pound that far down against the dollar?

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx-ds ... s_products

Mike
JohnH

Re: OrangeRx DSM2/DSMX DIY back in stock

Post by JohnH »

Another option is the JM JP4in1 module. It is less espensive, $32 vs $40, and is multiprotocol, with 4 processors so it is compatible with almost all systems.
John H.
"Here's another fine mess you've gotten me into."
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

JohnH wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 18:23 Another option is the JM JP4in1 module. It is less espensive, $32 vs $40, and is multiprotocol, with 4 processors so it is compatible with almost all systems.
As I said in the original post, some 4-in-1 modules are now cheaper, but nowhere near as convienient for most 2.4GHz conversions unless you have a JR-module slot. For many installations with a 4-in-1 module, you have to take the case off of it to make it fit, then you may need an SMA to SMA extension so that the antenna can be mounted on the top of the transmitter, with the module at the bottom etc. Then if you want the bind button remote from the module that is more soldering. All that is already done for you on the OrangeRx DIY. I know, I've done a couple of conversions with the 4-in-1 module and I know which I normally prefer :)

Both work equally as well for DSM2/DSMX, but if you are a DSM2/DSMX only flier, having the other protocols isn't really necessary.

The other issue is that the OrangeRx modules are FCC approved for use in the USA, though the CE marking for European use is less certain. Most 4-in-1 modules are not FCC approved, the Jumper is the main one which is both FCC approved and CE marked. But the Jumper module is more expensive than an OrangeRx DIY module. For some people who commercially convert transmitters, having FCC and/or CE approval is important, but for others, it isn't an issue at all.

Mike
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Thanks Mike for the tip-off. I've been checking almost daily and they weren't there yesterday! I've just ordered some.......

Paul
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

I have nothing against the Orange DIY unit, I am merely offering an alternative. My motivation is to create more of a demand for a variety of units so that competition will keep supplies up and prices down.

The JP4in1 is ok to use in the U.S. The firmware is up gradable as it is open architecture available through Github https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-Mul ... mitters.md.
It supports PPM pos or neg. Serial, and Telemetry in both PPM or Serial modes.
The case fits FrSky / JR and other similar receptacles, and out of the case it will fit any transmitter. As noted in the photos, the antenna lead is the same as the DHT or Orange internal units. If the unit is to be mounted far from the antenna, a longer lead is easily plugged into the board. When mounted to the transmitter case by double sided tape on the heat sink, only a few holes need to be drilled to accommodate the bind button, LED's, USB connector and protocol selector. I mounted mine with those controls facing the inside of the case, as once it is set up one does not need to refer to those controls on a regular basis.
20200422_192343.jpg
20200422_192439.jpg
John H.
"Here's another fine mess you've gotten me into."
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

The OrangeRx DIY modules were already sold out on HK last night, less than 24 hours after they went on sale! Why oh why don't they buy them in bigger batches? Obviously I'm not on my own in preferring the convenience they offer over the other DSMX options such as the 4-in-1 modules.

So expect another 6 to 8 weeks wait until the next batch arrives!

Mike
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

JohnH wrote: 23 Apr 2020, 02:51 ..... [Re JP4in1]....... the antenna lead is the same as the DHT or Orange internal units.
Just spotted this John, its important to note that Frsky and Orange are not the same antenna lead.
Frsky is RP-SMA and Orange is SMA. A Frsky aerial will appear to fit an Orange module just fine, but there is no electrical connection as neither has a pin, both the aerial and the module are female.

Cheers
Phil