Bargain Action Cam

Electronic or otherwise, we love our gadgets!
Shaun

Bargain Action Cam

Post by Shaun »

When I first started using these instead of Go-Pro's they were around the £100.00 mark. Absolute bargain for £12.00 shipped

https://www.newfrog.com/product/full-hd ... tm_term=EU

Perfect for capturing all your button pushing escapades on film..

Or for £7.00 more a 4K version.. This one even has Gyro stabilisation for wobble free shots.

https://www.newfrog.com/product/outdoor ... der-192150

Shaun
Flynn

Re: Bargain Action Cam

Post by Flynn »

The '4K' action cam I had wasn't 4K, it wasn't even fullHD, even the claimed 30fps was interpolated and it still dropped frames - absolute garbage, so you need to be a bit careful when looking for a cheap '4K' action cam. If Shaun can vouch for the ones he has listed then IMHO thats the place to buy them from.....
You only ever need two tools....WD40 and duct tape.
If it doesn't move when it should use the WD40 and if it moves and it shouldn't use the tape.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I've had lots of action cams sent for review over the past 3 years.. The SJ cam being one of them . Best performing ones I've found use the genuine Sony Exmor sensor. Cheap slow memory cards are the main issue with action cams re dropped frames.

I don't vouch for anything that only costs 12 quid delivered and offers so much, it was just a suggestion based on past experience. 😁 I wouldn't want to bung my Go Pro or anything expensive in my planes or drones......

We don't really need 4K for what we do though.

I would however vouch for my Nikkon D5300 and silly expensive Nikkon 300mm lens though.. Now thats a great camera for the money.
Last edited by Shaun on 04 Mar 2018, 17:09, edited 1 time in total.
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Normally...you get what you pay for!
Cheers,

Tobe
FBMinis

Post by FBMinis »

The Eken H9R seems to be the most popular right now. The footage is impressive and the price is low enough. None of my devices can reproduce over 1080p, as far as I understand. I feel like a dinosaur already :)
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

I have tried a few of these cheaper action cams. The first was a HobbyKing one (~A$100) which was OK, until smashed in a crash.

I then got a EKEN W9Rse (~A$50) which was good and the remote control was useful to start the video just before takeoff. This was lost in long weeds when it detached from the quadcopter.

I then purchased 2 more of the EKEN W9Rse, but they weren't exactly the same as the first (remotes not compatible with first one - didn't give a clear beep on starting the video etc). One was out of focus and because the lens thread was spot glued in it was a PITA to refocus. These 2 cams never seemed to record video as good as the first.

I guess in summary, the quality of these cheap cams is variable and a bit of pot luck (even when reordering the same item from the same supplier).

However they only have a limited life expectancy (at least on quadcopters flown by me :D ) and are cheap - I can remember when a roll of film (24 shots) cost around $12 and another $12 to have it developed (40 odd years ago), so paying $21 today is a pretty good deal for a action cam.
Richard
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

I bought one of the SJ ones for around $40au or roughly 20 quid from Banggood a while back. The camera itself is fantastic but the batteries are the weak link.
They are supposed to be lithium but they self discharge quicker than any battery I've ever owned & don't live very long.
I went to use mine a couple of weeks ago & it looks like the new battery has died as well. Charged for an hour & wouldn't turn on....

Al