LGT8F328P Replacement for ATMEGA328Pat 32MHz

Electronic or otherwise, we love our gadgets!
Martin

Re: LGT8F328P Replacement for ATMEGA328Pat 32MHz

Post by Martin »

Very interesting. I've ordered a few to try. Meanwhile the Official Arduino website is now pushing the 'Nano Every' which is based on the ATMega4809 - they're selling it cheaper than their ordinary Nano (though still more expensive than the clones you can find on Ebay). https://store.arduino.cc/nano-every

The Nano Every comes in (at least) three different flavours. One has a GPS chip built on board, another has Bluetooth, and there's the "normal" one too. They have a bit more memory than the 328P but otherwise, apart from the optional extras, don't seem to offer much extra. I'll wait till they become more common and the prices drop before I try one.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Phil_G wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 14:18I dont see a GPS version Martin - only an IMU ???
Teensy 4.0 is a Nano lookalike which runs at 600Mhz :D
1 Meg of RAM, 2 megs of flash, 23 digital pins / 10 analogs for roughly the same price as a genuine Nano :D
Sorry, my mistake on confusing the IMU with a GPS. You are correct, of course.

Yes, I read about those Teensy 4s on The Back Shed forum and I've ordered a couple. According to the benchmarks they run about 330 times faster than an Arduino Mega or 24 times faster than an Arduino Due.

2MB of Flash, 1MB of RAM, and a built-in pixel processing pipeline. :D

I'm tempted to try to program one to act like a super-Maximite, but with better graphics and sound. That's a big project though, so I doubt I'll see it through to the end. It will be interesting to get it pumping out some VGA graphics though - I do enjoy 'chasing the beam'. :)
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Totally over my head but sounds great :D

Ron
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

I second Ron! Completely out of my understandings, maybe in my next life.
Cheers,

Tobe
Martin

Post by Martin »

The top breadboard has an ordinary Arduino Nano. The bit of tape is to prevent blindness because this particular one has a searchlight-grade blue LED that dazzles anyone within a hundred yards. Even shining through the tape it's still too bright really. :D

The bottom breadboard has a Teensy on the left. This is a Teensy 3.1 - the 4.0 is much more powerful but is the same size.

On the right is an MX795 UBW32, which is currently wired up with VGA, PS2 keyboard and SD card adapter so that it can run as a Maximite.

The new Teensy has a lot more RAM and Flash even when compared to the MX795 UBW32 - it's a real power house, even though it's smaller than the Nano.

Teensy.jpg
Click photo for larger view.
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

The standard nano is my favourite as they are so cheap and not too small. but I do wish they would get rid of that usb socket.

Ron.
Martin

Post by Martin »

The Pro Mini is pretty much a Nano without the USB socket and the USB interface chip. It also lacks the 6-pin ICSP pads though, which makes using a USBASP for programming slightly more hassle.
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Thanks martin,
Yes I’ve used those before. Slightly weird off set pins on the middle. A bit awkward to wire up for programming and they don’t fit in vero either. I like the mini. That has pins across the top too. Think they are obsolete now though.

Ron.