German Diesels

Everything retro I.C.
Shaun

German Diesels

Post by Shaun »

Here's your starter for 10 as they used to say on University Challange....

My Eisfeld Arnie Hende replica... Better than the original. Shown with an Elmic airdraulic cut off
Eisfeld.JPG
I'm sure Frank can add many more to the list.

Shaun
Stew

Re: German Diesels

Post by Stew »

What a beauty, and great to see it with the cut off.
jmp_blackfoot

Post by jmp_blackfoot »

Herewith an article by Gustav Eisfeld in the wartime German publication Modellflug, November 1943 issue.
Also attached is my translation into English.
Makes fascinating reading 8-)
Attachments
Eisfeld_Diesel_Modellflug_Nov43.pdf
(1.05 MiB) Downloaded 239 times
Eisfeld_diesel_En.pdf
(66.99 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

A real treasure..... What is the capacity? Have you run it?

Paul
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

2.5 cc from memory. Not run it yet...I intend to though. Real shame Arne Hende died, he was a truly talented engineer. I have a Stentor sparker from him.. He made me a Glow head as well for it and I believe didn't charge any extra.

Shaun
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

How about this?

Its a Taifun Hobby 1cc diesel that belonged to my mentor, John Haytree. Many of you will remember him as the "go to" man for engine repairs. This engine powered his first successful RC model in 1964, which I think was his Graupner "Consul". At least that was what he was flying when I got into RC in 1965! He was flying it with Grundig radio, rudder only, and it puttered around the sky nice and gently on calm summer days.

Inspired by this, I got a Graupner Consul, but added the optional elevators, and flew it rudder and elevator, with a 4-channel Grundig set. Mine had a Cox Medallion .09 in it, which howled like a banshee! John visibly blanched when I asked him to test fly it for me!

I needn't have worried! Despite my poor workmanship, like all Graupner models, it flew beautifully. I had many happy hours with that model......

--
Pete
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

That’s a nice looking motor Pete,

Are you going to build another consul for it when you’ve finished your Grundig?

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

A bit difficult to build another Consul, Ron! They were a moulded polystyrene job, with very little woodwork in them. I think Frank has one in his collection? On the rare occasions one does turn up on ebay, they sell for mega-bucks!

I'm currently building a Frog Jackdaw for the (yet to be) converted Grundig with full house controls. Unlike its big rival of the time, the Super 60, it was designed to be much more neutrally stable. It was also designed for optional ailerons from the word go, which is how I'm building it. I'll post some pictures as soon as the weather improves enough to get it semi-assembled outside!

I need to source a dural undercarriage for it. Haven't managed to find anything suitable yet, so I might have to order a custom one from DB Sport. Or does someone have one lying around?

--
Pete
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Pete, a tip for the Jackdaw....... With the undercarriage in the position shown on the plan it is almost impossible to take-off or land without it nosing over. The undercarriage needs to be a bit further forward so leave the front u/c dowel where it is so it becomes the rear dowel and put the other dowel in a suitable position forward of it. 'Fraid I don't have a spare u/c though.......

Paul
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

Thanks for the tip, Paul!

I'm not using rubber bands for the U/C, I've made a secure ply plate in the floor, and will be attaching it with sacrificial nylon bolts.

Luckily, I haven't drilled the holes yet.......

:)

--
Pete