Source of small elec motors

From brushed to brushless
jackdaw

Source of small elec motors

Post by jackdaw »

Hi all,
Where do people go now to obtain small electric out runner brushless motors? The sort you'd use in converting rubber FF models. Looking at Hobby king/ Robotbirds etc there is a distinct shortage of choice in the UK.

Type of motor required:

2 cell lipo; 20gm to 40 gm(absolute max); 1500 rev/V to 1800 rev/volt(8in to 9in props); not 'pancake' flat style indoor motors(too wide up front and too short for narrow nose of most designs).

TIA
Phil_G

Re: Source of small elec motors

Post by Phil_G »

Hi Alan
Micron do a range of small brushed & brushless motors, gearboxes etc well worth a browse.

Alternatively I bought some of these £3 sets from Banggood:
Coreless Motor, Gearbox, prop set

You can buy a set of 5 for only £14, how do they do it? :D

For small motors I like brushed as they allow you to piddle about with supercaps and make simple controllers with one tiny fet.

Cheers
Phil
Attachments
banggood_motor_prop.jpg
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

jackdaw wrote: 25 Jan 2019, 11:26 Hi all,
Where do people go now to obtain small electric out runner brushless motors? The sort you'd use in converting rubber FF models. Looking at Hobby king/ Robotbirds etc there is a distinct shortage of choice in the UK.

Type of motor required:

2 cell lipo; 20gm to 40 gm(absolute max); 1500 rev/V to 1800 rev/volt(8in to 9in props); not 'pancake' flat style indoor motors(too wide up front and too short for narrow nose of most designs).

TIA
I have several of these 18 mm diameter motors https://www.brchobbies.co.uk/brc_en/bl- ... 200kv.html in small models/rubber conversions, amongst them the three shown in the photo and they perform very well. A bit higher kv than you are quoting but work OK on 2S and 7 x 3.5" props.
DSCN0455.JPG
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Thanks everyone, Should have given more details. Bit small for what I want Phil. 200'ish to 300'ish gm. Need a bit of excess power as it tends to be windy here on the North Wales coast, even on 'calm' days. Initially for a KK Gypsy, then something else. Have read the threads on other forums https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... -build-off. KKP and CB, of this parish, used from a 2209 1050Kv(55gm) to a 2211 2300Kv(20gm). Prefer 22XX motors for smaller diameter and better fit. Also, light because of the longer nose of rubber design to compensate for rubber weight at rear. I know I could compensate by moving battery back further but an over heavy motor just increases the AUW. Plus, you end up with the flying 'dumb bell' syndrome with weight at extremes. Sundancers on the spot with BRC. looked at the range 20 - 40 gm and the one I like the most is OOS the Keda 2205/34 @29gm.
Perhaps when the Chinese are back in full production after their new year celebrations.

Edit: went back to look at the Keda motor again and it had been removed.
GarydNB

Post by GarydNB »

Hi there,
I'm kkphantom on rcgroups and that is my gipsy build thread. (I think it played a large part in getting CB fired up again, now we can't get rid of the bugger!).
Hobbyking don't advertise those motors I used any more but I've got a few I'll probably never use and you can have one gratis if you cover postage.
Gary
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Gary,
Sus'd you were one and the same. Thanks for the offer but I've scouted around and ordered a few up from UK sources for assessment. A question though, CG balance with such a heavy motor where was the battery/servos etc???
This is a cheap project to see how I get on making things again. Most will not know that I had a stroke, 'left occipital intracranial hemorrhage' back in July 2018. It badly affected my whole right side vission, nothing there just grey. Things have improved greatly since then and I am allowed to drive. I also had a sesion on my clubs dual control trainer last autumn, which went well(hang the expense of 25p a session). I still have problems reading/typing/writing and doing close work due to a vertical 'void' in my vision just right of centre and some other slight distortions.
Allan.
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

https://hobbyking.com/nl_nl/turnigy-273 ... ?wrh_pdp=1 seems to fit the requirements of the TS, 28 g (without connectors) but a slightly lower kv, 1300.
I ordered one for a future build of Rich Harris' "Snap Dragon" as published in RCM&E. Very sophisticated packaging for such a small motor, completely atypical for HK, a nice transparent plastic box, separate compartments for all supplied parts, up to the shrink tubing sleeves!

Max.
Igull

Post by Igull »

Just noticed the pic, is that a Rubberdub ? I finished the laser parts for that a while back (shameless plug :-) ) !

I had a converted from rubber f/f version with a banded on cox peewee as a kid - not a good idea to fill the tank :-) I was capable of running after it then tho :-)

Cheers

Neil
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

Igull wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 21:05 Just noticed the pic, is that a Rubberdub ? I finished the laser parts for that a while back (shameless plug :-) ) !

I had a converted from rubber f/f version with a banded on cox peewee as a kid - not a good idea to fill the tank :-) I was capable of running after it then tho :-)

Cheers

Neil
Yep Neil, it is a Rubberdub, makes a great park flyer with R/AMT/T control, 1811 motor and 2S 320 lipo.
Rub42.jpg
Rub54.jpg
Second one I have had, the first was this "as per" rubber powered F/F one.
Rub1.jpg
Interestingly enough the Rubberdub was used in very early electric F/F experiments with the Micromax motor by Aeromodeller.

Highly recommended and would be a great rudder/throttle model.
Igull

Post by Igull »

Really nicely built example there !!!
Probably one of the very few rubber models I built that ever flew 'properly'.
Neil