Magnetic actuator

Martin

Re: Magnetic actuator

Post by Martin » 28 Feb 2019, 14:14

belli wrote:
27 Feb 2019, 21:09
So I just thunk sumting...

For a small F/F timer, DC brushed motor, could reversing the motor act as a dethermaliser? Saves a servo?
I guess that could work, but remember you're still drawing power from the battery to spin the motor backwards - so if your existing set-up uses most of the battery capacity for the climb, you'd need to fit a larger heavier battery to be sure of having sufficient 'dethermaliser' time. Also, unless you have radio control assist, you'd need a way of detecting that the plane had landed (or preferably just before landing) to stop the propeller spinning - otherwise you might damage the propeller/motor or drain the battery.

The lightest solution is still likely a pop-up tail activated by a rubber band and using one of those systems that has an electronic timer: when the timer elapses, a short piece of wire is briefly heated to melt through a tiny retaining rubber band: the so-called 'fuse'.

Martin

Post by Martin » 09 Mar 2019, 13:34

Finally got around to videoing the elevator set up.

Martin

Post by Martin » 21 Mar 2019, 15:47

Test flew it today. All good but no cameraman for videoing the flights. Here's a brief video clip I shot of it flapping away in the pits before its first test flight.

Ron
Site Admin

Post by Ron » 22 Mar 2019, 16:46

Absolutely amazing Martin,

Great work

Ron