Starlet by Vic Smeed - Lockdown project

Anything about sailing
RichardT

Starlet by Vic Smeed - Lockdown project

Post by RichardT » 30 Jun 2020, 17:01

Here's my ancient but serviceable Starlet (the Vic Smeed one from the '60s not the earlier '40s one). Originally built with a modified RCS Guidance System single channel to provide proportional rudder and sails in/out on two buttons. Back in the day it used mark/space and fully on/off to drive relays and a damped WW2 aircraft indicator linked to a motor/gearbox for rudder with Marx mini richard for the sail winch. Very effective and sailed at Prince's Park Eastbourne, didn't matter about radio interference, there just weren't any other boats around! Now updated to 2.4 Ghz with later homemade ali case (+ Arduino and Frsky DIY), first sail at Chipstead lake Sevenoaks a couple of weeks ago. All inspired by Phil_G, P Luby and other members of the forum so big thanks to them.

Img_1465.jpg

Phil_G

Re: Starlet by Vic Smeed - Lockdown project

Post by Phil_G » 30 Jun 2020, 18:22

Nice Richard, I have (somewhere) a Vic Smeed 'Wing Ray' which is a yacht with a model aircraft style wing instead of a sail. Goes very well, I must try to find it. It might be in my mum's loft :D next time I visit I'll have a look... you might know Ken Binks from Eastbourne, well known model yachtsman (amongst other things like aerobatics European champ!), he checks in from time to time.

I've not seen or heard from Paul Luby in several years now. I understand from his close RAF mate Paul Blakebrough that he packed it all in and shows cats instead. Serious cats, proper pedigrees, expensive hobby!

Cheers
Phil

PS I righted your capsized photo!

RichardT

Post by RichardT » 30 Jun 2020, 19:56

Phil, Vic Smeed seems to have designed just about everything, a quick search of Wing Ray brings up https://www.modelboats.co.uk/forums/pos ... sp?th=1554 ! Some nice pictures. His enthusiasm must have rubbed off on me, still going after 50 years! Other projects are on the go, larger yacht restoration with plan to use your NRF24 design (much respect for that, a lot more practical than the single 'channel' and the bits are unbelievably cheap!). Along the same theme I’m trying to use inexpensive components to make something close to the commercial stuff viz. a sail winch out of bits from the hoard with some hopefully clever programming.
As you say Trevor Binks is very well known in the sailing community, I may have unknowingly run into him at Eastbourne in the early days. The plan is to take Starlet back down to Eastbourne for a nostalgia-fest and see who else has a club badge from 60s!

Clearly lack of enough lead on keel caused capsize!

Cheers - Richard

Phil_G

Post by Phil_G » 30 Jun 2020, 20:42

Trevor is Ken's brother, he used to fly the slope S/C comps as Ken was entering multi. He disappeared, I did wonder what happened to Trevor. Its Ken who I thought you might know, Kens a member here.
Yes Vic was a prolific designer, very highly respected in these parts (apart from one design in hundreds of successful ones, the 'Popsy' which was a pig :D )

Re single channel NRFing, thats our bag remember, thats why we're 'mode zero' - no sticks!

Cheers
Phil