CAA registration 'consultation'

Important Announcements and information
How to register on this forum
Mike_K

Re: CAA registration 'consultation'

Post by Mike_K » 05 Jun 2019, 11:14

I had read all the post here and on the BMFA site about the proposed drone registration scheme (and done the online questionnaire), without actually reading the CAP 1775 document. I finally got round to it yesterday evening and what I read was appaling. The proposed costs are a joke, how they estimated the numbers of people expected to sign up is flawed and their comparison to other licence fees being more expensive just plain wrong. And this from a government-sponsored statutory corporation responsible for civil aviation in the United Kingdom. All I can assume is that they got an intern to do it. Actually, all interns could do a better job, so goodness knows who wrote it.

If you want to read it yourself you can download it from this link:

https://consultations.caa.co.uk/finance ... cument.pdf

I have written to the head of the CAA, the Aviation Minister and my local MP asking for it to be withdrawn or at least corrected. I'm now working my way through the recent amendments to the CAP1763 ANO, which don't make good reading. Knee jerk and ill thought through are my initial reaction.

The consultation period for the CAP1775 document finishes tomorrow, so if you haven't already written to the CAA, Aviation Minister or your local MP, can I urge you to write before it's too late.

Mike
Attachments
Comments on CAP 1775_01.pdf
(421.33 KiB) Downloaded 8 times

Martin

Post by Martin » 06 Jun 2019, 15:05

BBC article about how model flyers are upset about the proposed new registration scheme.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-48541783

ozrs

Post by ozrs » 09 Jun 2019, 10:51

Apparently As of June 1st, if not flying at a approved club site, guys in Canada are now required to keep a log book of all flights - time, date, location, persons present, and craft details.

And also a Maintenance log book - details of any repairs, parts used, instructions followed, serial nos, etc. Log book must be kept for 2 years!

It seems the world's aviation authorities are in a race to come up with the most moronic regulations for model aircraft.
Richard

GarydNB

Post by GarydNB » 09 Jun 2019, 11:28

Goodluck with that one! Who's going to police it?

Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H » 10 Jun 2019, 06:03

ozrs wrote:
09 Jun 2019, 10:51
.......It seems the world's aviation authorities are in a race to come up with the most moronic regulations for model aircraft.

Those that can, do - ie. simplify & add lightness - and those that can't become Bureaucrats to hold back those that can. :cry: Then, put a politician in charge (?) and the only way is 👇 the 🚽.

noun: bureaucrats
an official in a government department, in particular one perceived as being concerned with procedural correctness at the expense of people's needs. :P

End rant :oops:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ :roll:

jackdaw

Post by jackdaw » 10 Jun 2019, 11:16

You can fly kites up to 200ft high - no registration or competency test required. Control line models require registration and a competency test. Bizarre, idiotic rules of this system.

GarydNB

Post by GarydNB » 10 Jun 2019, 13:24

I thought control line was exempt?

jackdaw

Post by jackdaw » 10 Jun 2019, 18:58

no, it only got an exemption for notification/request to fly in an aerodrome/airfield control area(the new one not the ATZ)