CAA registration 'consultation'

Important Announcements and information
How to register on this forum
NeilMac

Re: CAA registration 'consultation'

Post by NeilMac »

Shaun wrote: 17 Feb 2020, 20:01 That's a lot of flying to miss out on Neil
.☹️
It's a bit breezy down here at present, so I don't fancy I am missing much.

I have a couple of 250g (ish) gliders and Middle Hope is still only a five minute drive away.
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"
Martin

Post by Martin »

I heard that, if the scheme survives, you'll get a new different CAA number every year. So don't write the number on your models with indelible marker or paint - when you have as many models as me, you'll need one of those gadgets that prints out self-adhesive labels: I've got one branded Brother.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Being a true Yorkshire man mine are having the numbers on a scrap of paper bunged in the battery compartment. 😜

Shaun.
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Eee lad, don't waste paper like that! Write the number on the rear faces of the prop.
GarydNB

Post by GarydNB »

Has to be on the main body of the aircraft...
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

On or in Gaz as long as it's easily accessable without the use of tools.
HOWEVER.... the latest CAA update as of yesterday means you currently don't have to display your id number until 20th June if you have any of the BMFA, LMA, FPVUK achievement schemes and a copy of the exemption and achievement doc number 1345 with you when flying. :roll:
Last edited by Shaun on 18 Feb 2020, 21:08, edited 1 time in total.
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

There was a time when we were all required to place our SMAE membership number on the model. Shame they missed that trick. My models are in danger of looking like a bingo card ! :roll:
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Don't give them ideas Spike. I don't want the hundreds of hours spent on my scale models ruining with non scale numbers and letters.
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

Shaun, Here in Oz the MAAA rule book says we must always display our MAAA/FAI rego number, all competition flyers display their numbers (I do), club members whom only fly sports models normally don't (the rule not enforced for none comp flyers) the only exemptions are scale models and indoor models.

I mentioned this rule to a member of another local club, and he said lucky we all fly scale, I said nobody in this club fly's scale, you all have store bought foamies, foamies are only sports models that look scale, and eight of you have the same model Spitfire.

Me, I'm going to display my MAAA/FAI number on all my models from now on, maybe its a good idea, it shows you are committed to the hobby, plus the insurance that comes with membership is handy when needed.

Don't know how many members of Mode Zero are affiliated with their national associations, it would look better for the hobby if we looked and acted professional in the eyes of the public.

Dave
Cheers,

Dave
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

UK CAA already has some sort of registration 'exclusion' arrangement and it could have transferred to the 'drones' operated by members of our national association. I have been surprised by the number of ex-military airframes that show only the hull number and no Civ reggie.
A strange example is the Kittiwake I used to fly as a glider tug. In RN Gliding Association use it sported the Civ reg G-BBRN. "XW 784" in small Black text under the stab was a 'cheat' that allowed project funds for apprentice building and 'fast taxi trials' to get airborne before discovery knocked that funding on the head. It was later sold as a wreck after a major incident (not me !). However, once refurbished on the private market it appeared as below. Any such exemption could allow Scale flyers to use the current internal arrangement.
kittiwake-2.jpg
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)