Post by RON »

Phil,
Yes a drone turns into a brick.

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
jackdaw

Re: CAA registration 'consultation'

Post by jackdaw »

Ah yes, registration. A suspects list that people pay to be on so that when the next 'Gatwick farce' happens they can be the ones on the front pages of the tabloids!
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

The whole thing is a fiasco and I agree with everything others have said however having spent my working life in civil aviation I know how these things work and after the incidents at Gatwick and Heathrow, I'm afraid some kind of regulation was inevitable........ The CAA have to be seen to be doing something so they can't be accused of doing nothing next time there is an incident. The problem is that they have made a mess of it and are using far to broad a brush and of course it is the inocent who suffer. They should introduce a scheme similar to that in use for Shotguns. Anyone who wants to fly a drone has to have a licence/certificate before which they would need to pass a test covering safety and the law. Then every drone should have to be registered with that registration taking place at point of sale and every time it's ownership changes. It would be illegal to fly an unregistered drone with a heavy penalty and confiscation of the drone for non compliance.

Paul
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Phil_G wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 00:37 I think it's too late for that Paul........... None of these will register.
As things stand, yes it is too late but they say they will review after 18 months, during which time there may well be further incidents which would demonstrate how ineffective this ridiculous scheme is. A review would hopefully produce a more sensible DRONE registration scheme. Yes, there are already thousands of unregistered drones out there but I think that a few well publicised prosecutions would soon drag them into line...... However yes, I fear we are p...ing against the wind. :roll:
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

I used to be a pistol shooter and used to compete all over the South West.

Three years after the ban, gun crime involving pistols had risen from something like 150 in a year before the ban to nearly 1600 in a year afterwards.

Nuff sed.
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

They are expecting 170 000 registrations?

What happens if only 17 000 people sign up? does the TAX jump to 165 pounds per year to cover "costs"?
Richard
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Got it in one! The 'drone tax' will increase to compensate for the shortfall and only accelerate the decrease in numbers paying to the point where an outright ban can be implemented on non commercial users.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

I've had an idea, I'm sure I'm not alone.
Let the BMFA pay £16.50 as the operator. They give us all the reg number and then we sign up for free as pilots.. result CAA get one payment and scheme fails miserably and is canned.
They can then figure out something that won't penalise responsible modellers and how to educate / catch the assholes...

Shaun..
Carl

Post by Carl »

I've actually filled in the form and for question 6

6 Do you have alternative ideas about how the CAA could cover the costs of running the registration scheme?

Yes

If Yes, please add your comments here:

Allow the BMFA to look after the registration. They already have an excellent system and we the hobbyist can trust them as they look out of the interests of those who fly. They will be independent and won't rip off us hobbyist flyers.
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
------------------------------------
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

Recent BMFA comments here:
https://bmfa.org/Portals/0/CEO/CAA%20-% ... 2019V3.pdf

A private petition to the Aviation Minister is also running:
https://www.change.org/p/caa-bmfa-membe ... ion-scheme
Spike S