The Signetics NE5044 encoder

Downloadable Documents
Phil_G

The Signetics NE5044 encoder

Post by Phil_G »

Long obsolete, the NE5044 was very popular back in the day, it was used by Micron, Fleet, Skyleader, Proline, World Engines, Hitec, Sanwa, Futaba and many more.
Often on a PCB it was buried under shielding as it could otherwise be prone to RF interference.
Attached is a datasheet (which is not the easiest to follow), and also the very best explanation I've found of the NE5044's operation, courtesy of Ace in their "Silver-7":
Attachments
Ace_Silver_7_TX.pdf
(24.38 MiB) Downloaded 26 times
NE5044.pdf
(371.19 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Pchristy

Re: The Signetics NE5044 encoder

Post by Pchristy »

I started using these as soon as they came out! Very easy to set up and work with, it was an excellent little device - except for its prone-ness to RF interference!

It was bad enough at 35 MHz, manifesting itself as trim changes between aerial up and aerial down, but at UHF it was a nightmare!

No amount of decoupling would cure it. Eventually, I found that building it on a double sided PC board, with the component side acting as a ground-plane cured it completely!

So if anyone is considering making one, remember to use a double-sided board with a solid ground-plane on the upper surface!

--
Pete