Repost: 70% Impala build

They stay up by magic!
_AL_

Repost: 70% Impala build

Post by _AL_ »

I've been busy repairing PSS slope soarers for this years Slope fest but I've finally made a start on the Impala.
The reduction to 70%/ 36" has made it an easier build & small enough that I can do 90% of it on my office desk so I can just chip away at night once the kids are in bed. I just have to stop once there is any sanding needed. It should progress fairly quickly.

The plan is to use my home built single stick radio which uses Phil's Arduino so I can learn to use the single channel button with the back up of proportional when I get into trouble. This will be my first foray into S/C.
It will be built light with lightweight gear for use it on the sand dunes on the lighter wind days. My regular slope site has a pretty unforgiving LZ so not the best for me to learn to use the button.

I'll post an update in a few days.

Al

Re: 70% Impala build.
Postby Phil_G » Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:20 pm

Very interesting Al !
When I built mine donkeys years ago I drew it directly onto the building board so I never had a plan.
Couldnt photo-reduce, these facilities weren't available back then.
Lots of people have asked about it over the years but I've always had to say "sorry, there is no plan" !

I've often said, I've a few Impalas and I honesty prefer the smaller one. Its handier, its more agile, its just nicer than the 52" original.
A 'Mini-Impala' would have made a brilliant addition to the Veron range, absolutely perfect S/C slope soarer.
They missed an opportunity there, I reckon a Mini Impala would have been far more popular than the Big Impala they did release.
impalas.jpg
75pc_impala_sc.jpg
Postby _AL_ » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:07 pm

Your Impala was one of the reasons I'm building this one. Thanks to Ron I may now also have to build a Little V.....
Going through old magazines you can tell when scanning became an option as all of the reduced plans stopped appearing in the magazines or were partially covered with a logo or similar. Mid to late 80s by my collection. It's probably good they had the mini plans in the old magazines though or most of them would be lost now.
The funny thing is, in my youth I absolutely hated building. It was just something that got in the way of flying. These days I enjoy building more than flying though most of my builds are fiberglass & foam rather than balsa.

Slow progress but progress none the less. I should have the fuselage halves joined tomorrow. The rib templates are cut but I need to buy some long screws to sandwich the ribs for sanding to shape.

Al
ATTACHMENTS fuselage halves.jpg Almost ready to join.

Postby Phil_G » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:21 pm
_AL_ wrote:... I need to buy some long screws to sandwich the ribs for sanding to shape.
I just cut them around an ali rib template Al.

Postby _AL_ » Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:57 am

The fuselage is 95% done. I've just left some of the top & bottom sheeting off to assist with control linkage installation.

I'll get the tail ribs cut today & hopefully get it glued together. Then I can finish the fuselage off before starting on the wing. I've deviated a bit from the plans for the elevator. It's smaller than the 2 channel option but bigger than the trim elevator on the plan.

Has anyone used Airspan covering before? Is it user friendly or a pain in the behind?
I thought it might look a bit more appropriate for the age of the model but I've only ever used Solarfilm etc.

Al
ATTACHMENTS a1.jpg

Postby Phil_G » Fri Mar 25, 2016 10:26 am

Looking good so far!
Solarfilm arrived on the scene at the same time as the Impala Al around 1968, so is entirely appropriate!

Postby _AL_ » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:20 pm

That makes life easy then.
The tail needs the LE sheeting & a good sand. I also need to taper sand the elevator & install the torque rod. If I can get that done tomorrow night I can install the servos & linkages.

I'm planning on using some 4g servos installed against the rear former. It's not exactly vintage appropriate but no one else will see inside so too bad. This however, will leave me room to install a small Lipo & ESC under the CG for an electric motor pod should I feel the need to fly on the flat field.

Al

Postby Phil_G » Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:28 pm

Cute little thing isnt it?
I think my elevators are 1" x 3/16 trailing edge stock. Maybe 3/4" x 3/16.
I'll check when I go up to the house.
Worth adding a hook as they bungee well. Impalas, not houses ;)

Postby _AL_ » Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:13 pm

My elevator turned out 20mm wide so roughly 13/16th". It looks about right to me so I'm sure it'll be fine.
A bit of progress but nothing worth a picture. I'm hoping to have the fuselage & tails finished by next weekend & start on the wing.
The NE sea breezes will start to turn West soon so I want to get a flight or two in before that happens. 95% of our slopes face NE or S.

Al

Postby _AL_ » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:52 am

Anyone who knows me, knows I can't stay focused on one project from start to finish. Since I started this I've built & repaired a few slope soarers for this years annual slope festival in northern NSW Australia.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2535385
Last years event.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2288390

I'm 99% done on a scratch built BV141 along with a handful of kit builds so it's time to finish this one off.
Originally I was going to have a crack as single channel, but now I think I'll use my Ron special tiny six reeds transmitter & once set up, pass the TX around to anyone who shows an interest at the festival.

The fuselage & tail is pretty much done. I've left some of the cross grain sheeting off the fuselage so I can install the control linkages. Once that's done it needs a quick sand & cover.
I used the ply template sandwich method for the wing ribs so it's just a matter of laying out the plan & putting the wing together.

Question. Does anyone have a decent image of the Veron Impala logo off the box?
I'm thinking of printing a decal of the name & jumping impala for the wing.
Thanks.

Al
_AL_

Re: Repost: 70% Impala build

Post by _AL_ »

Just reposting the missing pics.
Impala is red/ white & Little V is Purple/ white.

Al
Attachments
Impala covered.jpg
Two2.jpg
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Impala on reeds at Turimetta beach on a nice sunny day.
If only every day was this good.

https://vimeo.com/198318460
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

FANTASTIC THREAD :D :D

Ron
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Had to include this little beauty here too
50% soarcerer.
Ron
IMG_0271.jpg
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

That's really nice Ron. I'll build one myself one day.

A short vid of me flying the impala today. The launch was ugly as I've moved it over to the GEM reeds & it was a bit out of trim.

https://vimeo.com/258384744

A pic before leaving.
Attachments
Impbung.jpg
Carl

Post by Carl »

Al, I watched your videos again today. I have very similar locations right on my doorstep - lucky me :D When I become a more experienced pilot I'd like to fly from these locations.

Do you have any footage of your landings as you appear to have quite limited space for doing that in one of the videos? There are spots along 'my' coastline that have plenty of room, but there are other wonderful spots to fly but with challenging space for landing - obviously I wouldn't attempt such locations with some experience behind me.

Carl
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Carl.
I'll have a look for a landing vid & get back to you.
Pretty much all of my costal spots are covered in shrubs with rocks at the base so no nice grassy LZ. At best it's a sandy beach landing at some.

All I do is wash off energy with tight turns or fancy stuff, then run long & low down the slope away from the LZ.
Then run back to the LZ either low down & in less lift, or back behind the slope. Then just pop & drop in to the landing point for a slow controlled crash. Most spots have a small grass area but generally it's more of a case of a gentle drop into a shrub.

I usually use hardwood LE to resist damage from these landings which works fine.
Carl

Post by Carl »

_AL_ wrote: 06 Jul 2018, 23:26 I usually use hardwood LE to resist damage from these landings which works fine.
Thanks for this tip Al. I'll look at doing the same with any future builds for the slope.

Carl
Carl

STILL LEARNING
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Sorry mate I could only find one landing video on a coastal slope & it's with a PSS P40 so a faster & heavier than a vintage type.
Not my finest landing but you get the drift. Wash off speed & crash at the lowest speed possible.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpos ... stcount=87