Ray Malmström's Starstream (prop-in-a-box) with Martin’s GG system

Anything with a propeller
Carl

Ray Malmström's Starstream (prop-in-a-box) with Martin’s GG system

Post by Carl »

Here’s a few pictures of my almost completed Starstream with Martin’s GG system. The GG system works great - thanks Martin. I will test fly the model with rudder only controlled by a servo at first. Once happy I'll install the GG system again and test using pulse proportional on rudder only, then finally go full Galloping Ghost :shock:

DSCF1040.JPG
DSCF1042.JPG
DSCF1044.JPG
DSCF1048.JPG
DSCF1050.JPG
DSCF1056.JPG
DSCF1058.JPG
DSCF1064.JPG
DSCF1066.JPG

There are a few changes to plan. Those of you who know the original design will know the front part of the fuselage hinges down to provide access to the engine for starting and maintenance. Mine being electric powered I decided not to have the hinged front. Fortunately being 6' 3" I have long slim fingers to match so can get to the motor ok - good job too as if I had chubby hands and fingers I will have been in trouble. I've used 1/16" ply on the base of the fuselage instead of balsa with a thin strip of hard wood along the bottom outside edges as skids. Also added a rear skid to protect the birdcage at the rear.

For the wing I have a hard wood dihadral brace and have extended the top spar going the full length so there is a full length spar on the bottom and top now.

I will be recovering the wing as it didn’t go well. The yellow I used first just tore when it shrunk, so it all had to come off with the red. I remembered I had some yellow jap tissue left over from the build of a scaled down Chief. This went on beautifully, but the red is horrible as it doesn’t shrink evenly. So I decided to remove the red and get it on tighter but that didn’t work and replacing the red caused the yellow to loosen. Will leave as is and recover after test flights and when I have some more jap tissue in both red and yellow. You might not notice it so much in the photos but it looks embarrassingly horrible. Learnt a lot though, so some good will come from the experience.

I've since dry strength tested the tissue. The first yellow that tore when shrunk tears very easily, whereas the jap tissue is very strong and difficult to tear. The red tissue I used also tears fairly easily but not as bad as the yellow. In future only the best tissue will be used on open frames. Other cheaper tissue is fine for decoration of sheeted areas.

Below is a short video of the GG system in the model. The cage for the elevator is only taped on and may not be correctly setup yet. But this will be removed so I can just control the rudder with a servo at first, then pulse proportional on rudder only. When I go full GG I'll get the elevator set up properly for which I'll need some advice.

Outlook next week is quiet settled weather, so hope to give it a first flight then.
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
GeeW

Re: Ray Malmström's Starstream (prop-in-a-box) with Martin’s GG system

Post by GeeW »

Good to see another Malmstrom design appear that I hadn't come across before.
Looking forward to hearing the flight report.
Igull

Post by Igull »

As a 16 y.o. kid, I used to get the "Eagle Book of Model Aircraft" out of the high school library and copy as much as I possibly could to build as many of the planes that he designed. I managed to get a copy of the same book a few years ago and still have a yearning to build a few more :-)) The Eagle was a great comic too LOL - remember the Mekons and Harris Tweed !.
Not so sure I'd build a 'Starstream' though Carl LOL :-)
I also purchased a copy (which I can't find for the life of me !) of the Impington MAC book on Ray Malmström's other models - definitely worth looking out for that.
There are some great models in there that would make a great 'mass build' for 21st Century s/c :-)
Cheers
Neil
Martin

Post by Martin »

It looks great, Carl! :)

I think you have the elevator linkage upside-down when compared to the 'standard' galloping ghost method. It was usual, back in the day, to have the crank neutral position at the lowest point, so long slow swings resulted in up elevator (climb) and short fast swings in down elevator (dive).

I don't really see why it shouldn't work just as well the other way round though (the way you have it) - and it looks as though with your model it will keep the elevator 'birdcage' simpler and neater as you already have it. Maybe someone with more galloping ghost experience than me can explain why the 'standard' method became the adopted one - and what would be the disadvantages (if any) of having the elevator working the opposite way round?

I suppose it could just be that bottom-mounted tailplanes (horizontal stabilisers) were the most common, and then the birdcage linkages would be neater with the 'slow for up' layout?
Carl

Post by Carl »

Igull wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 23:35 I also purchased a copy (which I can't find for the life of me !) of the Impington MAC book on Ray Malmström's other models - definitely worth looking out for that.
There are some great models in there that would make a great 'mass build' for 21st Century s/c :-)
Cheers
Neil
The book can be downloaded from:

http://www.impmac.co.uk/our_club_ray.html#60years
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Carl

Post by Carl »

Here's a little background to the original model from Aeromodeller December 1987:

The plan was drawn by John McIntyre to whom Ray Malmström gave the model in 1986. John McIntyre wrote:

"I first saw Starstream fly back in 1976.
Ray can usually be relied upon to arrive at
the flying field with an interesting model
and that Sunday was no exception. Thus
about four aeromodellers and 20 cows sat
in the deep grass under the high summer
sky examining the wreckage of the first
(and I strongly recommend the last) R/C
Keil Kraft Senator, whilst waiting for Ray
to pluck up the courage to test fly
Starstream. Would if fly? (certainly) -
would the cows eat it? (possibly) - and
would it land in a cow pat? (probably). For
the uninitiated, cow pats are very like kite
eating trees- one will always get you in the
end (or the beginning, or any other time)."

And here's a great picture on the Impington Model Aeroplane Club website:

Last edited by Carl on 27 Sep 2018, 18:47, edited 3 times in total.
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Carl

Post by Carl »

Martin wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 23:44 I think you have the elevator linkage upside-down when compared to the 'standard' galloping ghost method.....
Thanks for the info Martin. Hopefully will get some insight from others if it makes any difference.

I have already fitted a servo temporarily for the purpose of flight tests and trimming, and then revert back to your GG system.
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Carl

Post by Carl »

It flies :D :D :D :D :D :D

FILE0014_Moment copy.jpg

After a couple of test glides, I went for a powered flight. Didn't set throttle with enough power for much of a climb first launch, but eventually it gained height and flew beautifully (right of the board which I can't believe). Second launch was better with more power and firmer launch. Battery ran out of juice for a third launch :cry: as I would have used full power this time. Anyhow once it had gained height I was able to back the power down to about half and was quite happy being guided about. It makes a great sound too 8-)

This was with rudder only control using a servo. I will do some more flights with this set up next time, and then reinstall Martin's GG setup - but rudder only at first.

Carl

STILL LEARNING
Martin

Post by Martin »

It flies great! :D Well done, and thanks for posting the video! :D
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Congrats Carl - it appears to be a very pleasant flier indeed despite it's unusual appearance :o which front on especially, reminds me of a whale shark (another dosile beastie) as it cruises about. :P ;)

BTW - love that Tx antenna. At first I thought it was lense distortion, but it was always bent regardless of which side of the picture it was on :shock:. I don't think I ever saw a straight telescopic antenna other than on a brand new Tx. As a mate of mine once quipped - "its proof you use it and as a bonus, its great for transmitting around corners!" :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)