Theme for 2019......

Events and news
Mike_K

Re: Theme for 2019......

Post by Mike_K »

So 2x scale Coquette's are OK, but 2x scale Shaun's aren't allowed :)

I found the magazine for the 1.5x enlarged Velivole canard (Vélivole = glider in French - I think), which I think is nearly as pretty as the Coquette.

Velivole.jpg

Sams models do a half sized kit, maybe that would be easier than cutting all the former's, unless I get Neil to do the honours of cutting a 1.5x version

http://www.samsmodels.com/the-velivole
Carl

Post by Carl »

That Velivole canard is a weird but wonderful design.

Anyhow something for those of you who have previously reduced the size of models. With built up wings, what do you usually do with the number of wing ribs? For example, if the full size model has wing ribs spaced at 2" and then you half the size of the model, is it a good idea to keep the same number of ribs (which'll mean they're spaced 1" apart) or perhaps reduce the number of ribs and space them accordingly?
Carl

------------------------------------
STILL LEARNING
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hi Carl,
I've taken both approaches. .. reduced the plan and built just like the big un but altered the rib thickness if appropriate. Also reduced the plan, looked at what designers of similar sized models have done and copied that.. Not really a definitive answer but as long as the wing is sufficiently rigid it doesn't really matter..

Shaun.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Most of my progress so far on an eligible model. I've also done a little bit on the fuse, but no pictures yet..... :P
the bits sofar.jpg
The radio gear is sorted - 19gms as you see it here:
radio gear.jpg
Test flights will be with Rudder/elev/motor, but I do intend to try it S/C once trimmed out 8-)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Carl

Post by Carl »

Those look like the flying surfaces of a reduced Pageboy? If so Wayne you need to call it Babyboy in line with Ken Willard's naming of his models: Schoolboy -> Pageboy -> and now Babyboy
Carl

STILL LEARNING
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

...to late for the 1/2 PageBoy :roll: :lol:
20141109_094654.jpg
IMG-1415652600774-V.jpg
Cheers,

Tobe
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

mini & micro Mambo
Attachments
Mini & Micro Mambo.JPG
bild (1).JPG
Cheers,

Tobe
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

...and a Boddington....
My late dad and I a few years ago had a little building gathering! In the same amount of time I framed out a full size and an ½ size he got his full size covered and ready to go
image.jpg
image (4).jpg
IMG_1317.JPG
Cheers,

Tobe
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

Mike_K wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 21:33 I found the magazine for the 1.5x enlarged Velivole canard (Vélivole = glider in French - I think), which I think is nearly as pretty as the Coquette. Sams models do a half sized kit, maybe that would be easier than cutting all the former's, unless I get Neil to do the honours of cutting a 1.5x version
Hey Mike, what a coincidence! Before I knew that someone else had already done one, in keeping with my totally unfounded reputation for building odd models, I started on one for the 2019 Ponty do. Mine is a mere 1.35x (42" w/s) as it means that std 3ft lengths of strip can be used for the longerons..... I started it before the 'theme' of reduced models was announced, and I ain't changing now!!!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthr ... ged-56-¾……

Would be a crowd stopper to have two flying though!
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

I glad that somebody is building a Velivole, please don't stop just because I've mention it, I may never get around to building one.

In fact I'm not certain what I'm going to build for Ponty yet, I've got about half a dozen models that are in various build states, so I ought to finish them before starting anything else.

I started a Graupner Caravelle for last years Ponty to use with my Graupner Variophon set, which is only now ready for covering and another Lil-Toad Delta for GG, with just the radio to install (3rd time lucky as I've smashed the other two on their maidens) and a 363 Delta made of Depron and brown paper (sorry guys) to finish for my trusty old OS 40 Max-H. But I would like a proper vintage model for Ponty too, so maybe the Velivole would still be a good choice, to be different but the same.

And I think Phil will appreciate the Velivole as it's a pusher, we could safely have a mid-air without the prop chewing off his tail :lol: That is unless he flies into the back of the Velivole, then it's a different matter...

Cheers

Mike