Some old time brushed examples

From brushed to brushless
Shaun

Re: Some old time brushed examples

Post by Shaun »

Not sure re the Mabuchi Neil. Mine on the website had tiny nicads. I have some of the salt water cells somewhere though.

Astro motors were my go to E power plant back on the day especially the FAI versions. The gearboxes were cracking units.

Shaun.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Brushed_Motors.jpg
I had a look in my brushed motor box and couldn't believe how many were still in there, I sold off my 3x Astro-05 on eBay a few years back.

If there's any motor here that somebody could make use of I'm happy to let them have it for the cost of the postage as I'm unlikely to use any of them. I gave up on NiMH as flight batteries years ago and to use any of them would mean having to buy new Lipo aware ESC, so I'd rather stick to brushless motors.

Mike
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Blimey that didn't take long!

All the motors with gearboxes have gone to good homes. Only the direct drive ones left...

Mike
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

Seeing Mike's post inspired me to rake out the old wooden box of brushed motors and gearboxes which came with me to France 12 years ago and has not been opened since. Ye gods, I had forgotten what was in there! I dare not add up the cost of this lot which includes a brand new in box geared Astro 15, a geared Astro 05, half a dozen boxed Speed 400s, four AP29s still in their poly bags, a couple of wonderful and expensive Cosmotec planetary 4.4:1 gearboxes bolted to yet more S400s, a couple of new Speedgear 400s and all sorts and sizes of small motors plus numerous gearboxes, mainly 400 and smaller size. I know that somewhere I have a box of matching ESCs but as Mike says, all nicad/nimh types. How sad that all this perfectly good and effective gear is now so much junk, curse you technology!!!

I daren't add up what this lot cost even at pre 2006 prices!
I daren't add up what this lot cost even at pre 2006 prices!
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

The Astro motors (geared or ungeared) plus an old 2S or 3S LiPo make wizard starters for small diesels for those (rare?) occasions when the flick-mastery eludes you. Driver is a simple Ali turning job with a short length of Silicon tube insert. I simply hot-glue a 15A microswitch to the side of the motor.
I have twice come home from events minus said article because people keep biting my hand off when they see it in use !
A note of caution though: You do need to ensure that rearward pressure on the shaft does not force the crank web and pin against the backplate or conrod while visiting such mistreatment on a small motor. Some may need a thin shim washer behind the prop driver.
DSCF3406c.jpg
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Great idea Spike, :idea:
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

my old Astro 60
1998 Astro 60 a.jpg
Richard
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Talking of using old brushed motors as starts for small engines; I bought one of these Sullivan Hornet units at the start of this century(I love saying that) when the exchange rate was good. IIRC it was less than a tenner with just a few pounds shipping. Good for little Cox that need high starting revs and will go up to a 15. If you can get the spares the starter cup/rubber would be useful.
http://sullivanproducts.com/product/s59 ... t-starter/
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

My Astro .15 with belt reduction gear, bought new in the 80's in New Zealand where I was living at the time. Never used though, mainly because of the high NiCd cell count needed:
DSC03861.JPG
DSC03863.JPG
Cheers,
Max.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

MaxZ wrote: 15 Apr 2019, 10:52 My Astro .15 with belt reduction gear, .....
I have 2 of these same belt reduction units fitted to "Astro 25's" - probably the weakest motor & g/box combination I have ever used. The g/box is OK but the motors (allegedly 8 cell) couldn't pull the skin off a custard, even on 10 cells :x :lol:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)