Cardinal Question

Anything with a propeller
Stew

Cardinal Question

Post by Stew »

Hi all.
I was thinking of powering my Veron Cardinal with a KP02 motor in place of the DC Merlin, and having the gubbins (profiler and battery) mounted in the area just below and behind the KP02, and then having a small Li-Po in the bay under the wing to power the receiver and the newly fitted Tobe 'Adams' pulse actuator for the rudder.

Would anyone care to suggest a battery type/size that would power both the actuator and the receiver together?

Many thanks

Stew.
Twitcher

Re: Cardinal Question

Post by Twitcher »

Hi Stew

I'd suggest a small brushed ESC with a 2A BEC to supply fhe avionics and a 2S LiPo of about 500MAh to power it all.

One thing to watch is the balance. I did a similar job on my old Cardinal last year (2018) and found the model ended up slightly nose-heavy. I initially thought it would be okay; a safe position; but it was enough to spoil the climb - she (he?) flew low and fast, barely responding to the rudder. Stick close to the plan CG and it should be fine.

Incidentally, there are still brushed ESCs available. If you need one, try this:

https://www.robotbirds.co.uk/default/gw ... d-esc.html

Good luck!

David
Stew

Post by Stew »

Thanks for the reply David, but I've decided to make the Cardinal a Free Flight model with RDT. What was the torque rod for the rudder will now be an RDT actuator to trigger the tip up tail. I'll screw my DC Merlin to the front of it and job done.
The Cardinal can then join my collection of Free Flight 'Sport' power models. They are all languishing in the cupboard along with my rubber models at the mo as my club has lost it's flying field :(

I am going to build something else for the Tobe Adams clone. I haven't decided what yet. I love the look of that little ex 'Boddo' model in Shaun's video, the one built by Arthur Fox, but I haven't the foggiest what it is!

Does anyone have a good method of connecting a torque rod up to the Tobe Adams clone? I had a few ideas but they just don't look 'neat'...

Stew.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

The plane in the video was made by ACE.. Designed for one of their smaller pulse propo actuators.. Can't remember the name but I may have some info on it if I dig around. .

It was the first model to fly with Phil's prototype Recoder. This was before Tobe started making his actuators.

Shaun
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

The Adams clone is intended to be connected in the same way as the original. To simplify things you will find just above the pin in the plastic a smal hole that appropriately resized could also fit the the bended end of the torque rod.
Attachments
Simple connection for push rod (2).jpg
Simple connection for push rod.jpg
Simple connection for torque rod.jpg
Typical connection torque rod as shown in Ace's instrucrions.jpg
Servo plate Adams Clone.jpg
ACE Pusle Commander manual.pdf
(7.29 MiB) Downloaded 154 times
Cheers,

Tobe
Stew

Post by Stew »

Ah yes, that makes sense Tobe. Neat too.
Shaun, if you could find out about that model I'd be very grateful. Its a good looking little thing.

Stew.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hi Stew.

The plane is the Cloud Commander manufactured by Ace for pulse propo.

Photo of advert is crappy but it's all I have. Took it for reference years ago. Dug it up on my phone.

Cheers,

Shaun.
IMG_20170923_141900400.jpg
Stew

Post by Stew »

Much appreciated Shaun, thanks for that. Now begins the trawl for a plan!
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

A minor clarification to help in searching for the plans:

The planes shown in the advert were not made by ACE (only the PP radio system was).

The advert notes that those particular plans were available and suitable - perhaps a proprietry item produced by the retailer?

Richard
Richard
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

From memory they were kits ,not plans Ace branded, but I may be wrong.
Shaun