They stay up by magic!
Wayne_H

Aircraft Identification

Post by Wayne_H »

Anybody seen one of these before?
pic-1.jpg
pic-2.jpg
pic-3.jpg
It looks like a Weihe, but I have no idea who may have produced the 'kit'. Construction is all foam, controls are rudder, elevator & tow release, wingspan 1m. It's light, but surprising strong/stiff for the foam construction employed.

I was gifted it by the widow of a long-time modelling mate but I hadn't seen it previously, it having been unearthed unexpectedly in a garage cleanup :o :shock: :) I'll fly it initially with propo to ascertain how docile it is, but longer term I'm thinking of converting it to S/C.

Anybody got any ideas???
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
PaulJ

Re: Aircraft Identification

Post by PaulJ »

Graupner used to do a Weihe with a foam fuselage...... A friend had one back in the mid/late 60s but apart from the fact that it had a foam fuz, I don't remember too much about it..... I think (?) it had a built up wing.
However if you google for "Graupner Weihe" you will find lots of images and I don't think your model is a Weihe........
Bausatz-Graupner-Weihe-50-BestNr-4252-Rarität-für.jpg
Bausatz-Graupner-Weihe-50-BestNr-4252-Rarität-für.jpg (19 KiB) Viewed 4050 times
'Nice model though! :P

Paul
GarydNB

Post by GarydNB »

Anybody got any ideas???

Yeah....sell it to me 😉

Gary
Sundancer

aircraft recognition

Post by Sundancer »

No, it isn't a Weihe, I don't know who produced this particular foam model Wayne but it is clearly a Lo100. Larger versions of this were kitted in the past for example by Aeronaut and there have been numbers of OD models over the years. It was very popular as a slope soaring model back in the sixties in the UK. Should fly nicely.
Last edited by Sundancer on 25 Jan 2019, 08:16, edited 1 time in total.
GarydNB

Post by GarydNB »

In all seriousness Wayne. It's a Robbe LO 100. ARF. Old school polystyrene I think. Nice model
Gary
.......but if it gets a bit too much for you.......what with all them kits wot you got stashed away.....

Google it. Loads of references to it and some yt vids as well.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Ask & ye shall be told!! :P

Thanks all - definitely the Robbe Lo 100 as you said
Robbe Lo 100
Robbe Lo 100
right down to the same German rego stickers! The foam resembles Depron rather than polystyrene - about 5mm thick for fuse & wings & moulded to shape, while the tail feathers are 2-3mm flat sheet.

Gary, I doubt I'll ever get rid of it given the sentiment & history behind it, but you've got first dibs if I do ;)
Definitely looking forward to flying this one :D
Cheers,

Wayne
Igull

Post by Igull »

PaulJ wrote: 25 Jan 2019, 08:08 Graupner used to do a Weihe with a foam fuselage...... A friend had one back in the mid/late 60s
The Graupner Weihe 50 had a glass fuselage, co-incidentally, there's a set of ribs for that one coming out in a couple of weeks - :D :D
There's a guy in Belgium making copies of the weihe 50 and the cirrus fuselages if anyone is interested (although he seems to have gone underground in the last couple of months - maybe truly underground of course :-) )
Neil
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Neil, it was a long time ago but I was pretty sure the fuselage of my friend's model was some kind of foam so I have done a bit of Googling........ It seems that Graupner have done TWO Weihes! :o The later one was 3.2m span and had a glass fuselage. The first (Kitted in 1962) was 1.8m span and did indeed have a foam fuz. The plan for the earlier model AND the instructions are both on Outerzone and it clearly states in heavy type........
"The fuselage is made of foam plastic and must never be brought into contact with a celulose base cement....."
Weihe1.jpg
Weihe1.jpg (11.87 KiB) Viewed 3979 times

Weihe2.jpg
Weihe2.jpg (7.56 KiB) Viewed 3979 times
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

That is correct Paul, Graupner made two Weihes.
Here is a picture of my Graupner Weihe from 1962 with the foam fuselage.
Weihe12.jpg
Weihe7.JPG
Frank
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Finally ready for a test flight - pilot added as well as some coloured trim on the fin & rudder. :D
L100 ready to fly.jpg
Don the driver.jpg
Cheers,

Wayne