Newbie in the West

Welcome to the Mode Zero Forum
NeilMac

Newbie in the West

Post by NeilMac »

Morning all.

My name's Neil MacKinnon and I'm located down West in North Somerset, I have recently retired and was not looking for anything to do as I have a garage full of steel bicycles, a horse and am a regular competitor in air rifle target shooting competitions. However, a chance encounter with Pat Teakle and other Mendip Soarers and the discovery of two crazy Slovenian flyers on youtube relit a very old fire.... and here I am.

From my loft I am slowly but surely disinterring plans and books gathered in my childhood back in the late 60's and early 70's, a Fox 15 which I bought new from Henry J Nicholls and a Waltron Mini 2, bought new in 1970something. I have already been in touch with Phil G, so the Waltron and an ebay purchased MacGregor Digimac 2 will soon be doing their thang on 2.4 gHz.

The Waltron is going to be installed into something single channel with electric motor throttle control, I haven't decided what yet, but have a 36 to 38" wingspan in mind and it must be a design from the 50's, 60's or 70's. The Digi 2 is going to end up in a Veron Impala as that is the very first RC plane I ever flew... it wasn't mine, I didn't have anything like the money needed for such exotica, it belonged to my flying buddy Steve Oak, but it was the first, and now I live very close to Crook Peak, I might actually get to see what the Impala can really do.

Anyone down in the West, shout out, I would love to see what kind of mischief other people are getting up to.

Neil
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"
PaulJ

Re: Newbie in the West

Post by PaulJ »

Hi Neil and welcome, it sounds like you've found a natural home in this forum.

I used to make regular pilgrimages to Crook Peak back in the middle/late 70s for the Pylon Racing, Cross Counrtry and Multi-Task Competitions. Indeed I still have the old Skyleader Clubman I flew back then but now it is on 2.4 ;) .

'Often flew against Pat Teakle..... Please give him my regards (If he remembers me!)

Paul Jefferies
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

Hi Paul,
I have been invited back to Crook Peak "any Wednesday", trouble is the last time I walked to the top I found I was the only person there. I will be returning though, once the weather settles down a bit and will be sure to pass on your regards.

The reason I stopped in the first place was Pat's huge Leprechaun glider, finished in bright yellow film, a quick chat had me dragging up memories from the late 60's and early 70's.... and here I am. :mrgreen:
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Welcome Neil, great to have you with us ;)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

NeilMac wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 07:20
.......The Waltron is going to be installed into something single channel with electric motor throttle control, I haven't decided what yet, but have a 36 to 38" wingspan in mind and it must be a design from the 50's, 60's or 70's.
Neil
Hi Neil

May I suggest that you consider a couple of John Bowmer designs from the mid 1960s - the "Erk" (published in "Model Aircraft"
Erk.jpg
or the "Swannee" published in "Aeromodeller"
Swannee47.jpg
, both as free plans. Both originally for .049 IC and rudder only escapement control, but delightful conversions to rudder/throttle electric with propo control.

Good luck and enjoy your return to the model flying fold
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

Will do, thanks for the suggestions.
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

Hi Neil

I’m a retro soarer from the mid 70s and recently spending more time with family in Croscombe and so about 30 mins from crook peak

Went there for the first time in 30 odd years recently and flew my 40 yr old Zeitgeist - used to be on horizon 2 ch

If there it’s usually thurs to Sunday

Just set up single channel on my fr sky though eventually going to put a s channel set together

Best wishes

Nick
M
NeilMac

Post by NeilMac »

Hi Nick,

Sunday is a club day, the other club day is Wednesday.

I have to confess I have not been to the Peak in a fair while, who knew that retirement would be so hectic!

Most of my flying has been very local, but with all the wind we have had coming mostly from the West so far this year my 'stick time' has been pretty limited, which is daft because there is an excellent West facing slope on Crooks Peak. :roll:

I hope to see you up there sometime.

Neil