Yet another Single Channel Encoder

Button pushers
_AL_

Re: Yet another Single Channel Encoder

Post by _AL_ »

After a week trying to get my ISP dongle working I gave up & grabbed a new one today. Problem solved.
I've uploaded the sketch just now & hopefully will test it later this week.

I have a part finished GEM replica case here so I'll finish that for this encoder. Hopefully something pretty to post by Sunday.

Al
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

looking forward to see that Al

Ron
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

I've been finishing an OS Pixie MK2 3D recreation ready for Ponty using my encoder listed here. As there was plenty of space I thought I'd include the low voltage alarm feature. Testing the Arduino on the bench before mounting it and it didn't work. WTF? I tried a couple of versions older sketch/program and it worked OK. So it was back to the PC to compare the older and newer programs and somehow the voltage compare was wrong, well more precisely how the high byte alarm voltage level was read back from the EEPROM.

So I've updated the sketch/program at the start of this thread. For most this will make no difference as they probably won't be using the low voltage alarm anyway. But I thought I ought to make the correction.

Cheers

Mike
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

I just finished my next replica transmitter, a Futaba FT-3A. It uses Mikes S/C encoder. I am using also the low voltage alarm by just adding two 10k SMD resistors to the bottom of the arduino.
It works very well, no problems at all. HF is provided by an Orange 2.4G module. Power comes from a PP3 2cell lipo.
The FT-3A case is 3D-printed and looks quite realistic.
Thank you Mike for another great project.
SAM_3750.JPG
SAM_3752.JPG
SAM_3754.JPG
Frank
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

'Lovely job Frank...... very neat. :P

Paul
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

This morning I was test-flying all my new transmitters, the FT-3A with Mike´s new S/C encoder, the Hinode and my 2.4G converted Webra picco. All proved to work really well, no problems, no issues.
Test aircraft were the Tomboy and the Aeronaut Nova. Had some lovely flights.
Thank you Mike, a great new project. It worked very well.
Cheers
Frank
Last edited by tiptipflyer on 02 Apr 2019, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Frank

The FT-3A is so realistic that if you hadn't uploaded the OpenSCAD files I would have thought it was an original, great job again.

And I'm pleased you have got the encoder working OK. Are there any alterations or additions you could suggest? I designed it for my own use and have probably included features nobody else wants but left out things people would like!

Cheers

Mike
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Thanks Mike,
I like your S/C encoder as it is. Nothing to improve from my side. Especially the option to also use a toggle switch for reeds rudder (although not used in the FT3A) is great, I will use it in a future project. Also I like the low voltage alert, which I use in almost all my replicas or conversions.
I am not using any timer, I hate the noise of the beeper except when alerting, but other people may need it.

Regarding the FT3A case, I spent quite a few hours on it and I am very pleased with the result, especially in the turquoise color it is looking very realistic. I tried to do an OS Pixie MK2, but the curved sides are still beyond my capabilities.

Cheers
Frank
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

Hi Mike,

Your S/C encoder has caught my attention. I did acquire one of Phil's original pre-programmed boards several years ago, and have built my first S/C transmitter with it to try and fly my Tomboy vintage-style. I connected it up to my regular transmitter using the trainer port, and have flown it a couple of times that way, but not enough to really master it. Anyway, I like Arduino projects, so I am contemplating building your encoder.
I have read through your excellent instructions, so far up to the programming bit on page 9-11. One remark on the ISP programming if I may, the instructions on making up the usbasp adapter are clear enough, but it was not immediately clear to me how it had to be connected to the ProMini. Eventually, the pin numbers on the diagram and the photo made the coin drop, but maybe you can spend an extra line on this when you are making an update of the document.
My real question is on the ISP programming itself. So far, I have only used usb to serial programming, lastly on Phil's PPM tester (the Nano I used there had a separate 6-pin ISP connector, but I did not use that). You stated that the advantage of ISP is that you are losing the power-up delay, but what I don't understand is how you get rid of the bootloader which causes that delay. I have always thought that this is built into the eeprom?

Cheers,
Max.
Martin

Post by Martin »

When you upload a sketch using ISP, the bootloader is overwritten and no longer exists - this gets rid of the start up delay, and also allows a little extra room for your sketch to grow.

If you later wish to go back to serial programming on the same ProMini, you use the Arduino IDE's 'burn bootloader' function, which re-installs the bootloader.