Synthetic Tissue

How we create stuff
Colonel Blink

Re: Synthetic Tissue

Post by Colonel Blink »

What brand of cellulose thinners are you using? I bought a litre can mail order at great expense and in six months it's taken on a brown tinge - which as I like to use white tissue (takes me back to my 'pocket money' days when you used what came in the kit) means that it can only be used for cleaning brushes.... :evil:
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

I use quite a lot of thinners for other things and use some of it for thinning clear dope and any other modelling applications. I buy "Standard Thinners" in 5Ltr tins from anywhere that's cheap........
IMG_20190408_083820[1].jpg
This one was was £18 from a car goodies shop in Ipswich but I think most paint suppliers stock it, usually at around £22 - £25 though if your're lucky you may find it for less.

Paul
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

http://www.nwepaints.co.uk/acatalog/Thi ... vents.html
I'm off this morning to buy 5ltr of the £18.95+Vat acetone. Thought discretion was the better part...… and all that. So decided against the 'gunwash' grade.
I've realised that the film I linked to in my previous post may not be what is required. After much reading (lots more to do) it would appear that OPP film (Polypropylene) is not what is required, rather a PET laminating film[Polyethylene terephthalate (Polyester, PET, PETP )] of 38 microns in matt finish has been found to be optimum.
A Google search for the differences between the various films will reveal numerous articles. But, I'm not a plastic polymer expert nor do I want to take the time to become one. Perhaps we have some one here who has some knowledge on the subject who can explain.
Sundancer

Post by Sundancer »

Good call on going for the better grade thinners, the gunwash grade is prone to causing blushing and even fails to mix properly with the dope sometimes due to water content I think.

You are also right about the laminating film, I only use the 38 micron semi-matt stuff now and it behaves perfectly.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Sundancer wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 10:17 ........ I only use the 38 micron semi-matt stuff now and it behaves perfectly.
Agree, this matches my experiences with laminating films ;) .
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

I couldn't find the semi matt (or even full matt) film in 38 micron, so ended up with 150m of gloss - I hope it's the right stuff! (I just rechecked the website and although I don't know what it is, I know it's not OPP!!!)
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

A dispatch from the front:
The raiding party to the paint factors was more successful than anticipated as I only paid £20.50 for 5ltr of the 'good stuff'.
I have the 75 micron gloss PET for slope foam wings and the 38 micron gloss PET for other foam planes. A forage into the deepest and darkest corners of 'tbay uncovered a single roll of 30 micron MATT PET 457mm wide and IIRC 150mtr long(anyone know any spells/incantations for eternal life? I'll need it to use the 3 rolls.). The spirit of 'PayPal' was invoked, with much wailing and gnashing of teeth, and the item is winging its way to me as I type with the projected delivery tomorrow.
PS my wallet is currently in intensive care recovering( :lol: :lol: )from all the recent expenditure.
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

jackdaw wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 16:11 my wallet is currently in intensive care recovering( :lol: :lol: )from all the recent expenditure.
You wag, Sir!................. must be those loose trousers.*

*with thanks to Morecombe & Wise
jackdaw

Post by jackdaw »

Jodhpurs from my time in the Raj playing polo 'don't yah know' old boy; Jodhpurs.