New Member from Australia

Born again bikers!
TomWatson

New Member from Australia

Post by TomWatson »

I bikes when I was younger. I rode raced at Bathurst and Oran Park. Here is a few pics.
t4.jpg
SCAN0005.JPG
SCAN0004.JPG
SCAN0001.JPG
SCAN0000.JPG
drigotti

Re: New Member from Australia

Post by drigotti »

"The need for speed!"
Dave Rigotti
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

Now those pics are superb!

It's always nice to see real classic motorcycles being given a thrashing - it's what they were built for!
TomWatson

Post by TomWatson »

The bottom pic is my 1962 Triumph Bonneville. In 1964 I sold all the cycle parts and installed the engine in a Norton Manx frame with a Norton close ratio gearbox. I also had a AJS 7R front brake. I rode it at Bathurst (not used for bikes anymore as it is too dangerous). I was clocked at 155 mph on the main strait. The Bonny engine had High comp pistons and big cams. Did not win as I was just an average rider.
A great bike.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

TomWatson wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 10:13 ......... I rode it at Bathurst (not used for bikes anymore as it is too dangerous). I was clocked at 155 mph on the main strait........
A great bike.
Great memories Tom - good onya mate!

I was at the last ever Easter Bathurst bike races some 35 years ago - from memory, 2 (possibly 3) riders died on the track that year. Gregg Hansford rode the factory Kawasaki, clocking over 270 kph down Conrod Straight. When interviewed over the track PA after that ride, he lamented the fact that the bike had been geared for the climb up the mountain, not the run down Conrod :shock:
Gregg Hansford display inside the Bathurst National Motor Racing Museum.
Gregg Hansford display inside the Bathurst National Motor Racing Museum.
When the track was reopened to traffic - for those not familiar with it, Bathurst is a "street track" in that it is a public road when not closed for racing, but it is as far removed from a traditional "street track" as you could possibly get - I took wifey in the sidecar around the track & lifted the sidecar wheel off the ground during a 2 wheeled drift through Forest Elbow - I still have the indentations in my left thigh from her fingernails :oops: :o .
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Great pics.
The Easter bikes was a bit before my time but I've done plenty of hillclimbs there in Minis in the 90s & the odd inappropriate angry lap as a younger man. You need a big set of nuts to go around there fast on a bike so my hat is off to you.

My only laps of Oran Park on a bike were on the old motorcross track out the front. Such a shame to lose Oran, and Amaroo for that matter. Both are covered in houses now, along with Catalina.

At least Bathurst looks like it's future is safe.

Al
TomWatson

Post by TomWatson »

Wayne_H wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 11:10
TomWatson wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 10:13 ......... I rode it at Bathurst (not used for bikes anymore as it is too dangerous). I was clocked at 155 mph on the main strait........
A great bike.
Great memories Tom - good onya mate!

I was at the last ever Easter Bathurst bike races some 35 years ago - from memory, 2 (possibly 3) riders died on the track that year. Gregg Hansford rode the factory Kawasaki, clocking over 270 kph down Conrod Straight. When interviewed over the track PA after that ride, he lamented the fact that the bike had been geared for the climb up the mountain, not the run down Conrod :shock:
Greg_Hansford.jpg
When the track was reopened to traffic - for those not familiar with it, Bathurst is a "street track" in that it is a public road when not closed for racing, but it is as far removed from a traditional "street track" as you could possibly get - I took wifey in the sidecar around the track & lifted the sidecar wheel off the ground during a 2 wheeled drift through Forest Elbow - I still have the indentations in my left thigh from her fingernails :oops: :o .
When I first rode there I geared the bike for some ridiculous speed on the straight. But with the close ratio box, I struggled to get up the mountain in first gear. Going over "skyline" was scary

TW