Ponty Retro fly-in.... NUMBER 8..... yes really

Events and news
Mosfets

Re: Ponty Retro fly-in.... NUMBER 8..... yes really

Post by Mosfets »

Had a wonderful time today, super planes and good to catch up with fellow enthusiasts.

A big thankyou to the PANDAS club and all who took part in organising the event and the roles they cared for, it would not happen without you generous support.

Thanks again.

Ade
Colonel Blink

Post by Colonel Blink »

Yup, another simply superb meet, blessed by perfect flying weather (winds @ <4mph, cloud cover so no sun to dazzle, warm enough to be in shirt sleeves). I believe someone said there were about 70 cars there - I counted approximately 180 models - which even if only a third flew, meant a busy flight line! I did at one point count 9 models in the air at one time - but at others it was 2 or 3. So if you've not been before and don't like the idea of flying in a swarm, don't worry!

One thing I noticed was that I actually spent less time flying than in previous years - but that was just because as I've got to know more people, I spent a greater proportion of the time exercising my jaw as opposed to my thumbs! :lol:

Thanks again to Phil & Shaun for organising an event which somehow yet again exceeded the previous years.

PS Next year, I promise to do my share of cooking - my speciality: botulism burgers...........
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Yes, another really good day and well worth driving 200 miles each way for! I never cease to be amazed at the engineering skills of some and at the quality of some people's building and finishing. 'Lots of lovely and interesting models, perfect flying weather and it was great to meet up with so many like-minded retro addicts! These events don't organise themselves so huge thanks to Phil, Shaun and the PANDAS Club for all they did for us.

Phil, thanks for the modules various...... I came away with two more transmitters than I went with, and when I got home I found I had won a Digimac 1+1 on ebay so the "to convert" list is growing and I'll be in touch. ;)

Paul
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

A quick thank you to Shaun and Phil for organising a great day flying and indeed to all the other Ponty club members who sacrificed their Sunday flying for us, it is appreciated. And Shaun and Phil had even organised the weather for us!

Just the same as the Colonel, I too found I spent more time talking than flying, but that is the whole point of the Ponty meeting - well to meet others. And I didn't even realise that Paul was visiting too. Having said that there was no shortage of flying, it seemed quite busy during my first flight and when I landed I counted another seven models flying, so with me, that would have been eight. I don't think there was a time from the briefing to the prize giving when there weren't a few models in the air to entertain us.

Till next years Ponty meeting

Mike
Twitcher

Post by Twitcher »

Shaun, Phil and the PANDAS club, a huge thank you for a memorable couple of days. I think this was either my third or fourth trip from "dahn sahf" (can't remember; a sure sign of adavancing age) but whatever it was, I enjoyed every second of it! On Saturday, the visit of the Wicked Witch Of The North was spooky; on Sunday, Colin's smooth-flying, beautiful Velivole stood out. Another of his highly successful excursions into lateral thinking - is there no end to this man's creativity? I take my hat off to him. Nice one.

And that Mike Watters charging after the errant model that escaped its owner! As I said to him on his return, he was probably the only one there who was young and fit enough to run after it.

Gentlemen, when will you start organising No. 9? Twelve months is too long to wait . . .

Thank you again for all the work you put into it.

David
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

What Phil said; see you all next year and thanks for making it a success again. :D

Cheers,

Shaun
GarydNB

Post by GarydNB »

Ditto from us, great to catch up with friends and make a few new ones. I didn't fly much (thanks for the loan model Phil), but I was quite happy to wander about chatting and soaking up the atmosphere, loved it....thanks to everybody who organised it and we'll see you again next year!
Gary and Angela
Pchristy

Post by Pchristy »

I'd just like to add my appreciation of Shaun, Phil and the rest of the gang at PANDAS for organising what is now one of the best events of the year!

How they manage to persuade the weather gods to ignore the met office, and deliver flyable conditions each year never ceases to amaze me! :D

Thanks to all involved, and Phil: Put up a pointer when the video goes up!

Cheers,

--
Pete
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

Here you go, minimal editing again, more or less straight from the camera:

...and some stills:

What a cracking day once again, nice and calm and all the better for a bit of cloud cover, no squinting and for once no nursing patches of sunburn! I initially thought the turnout was lower than previous years, but Col did a count and there were at least 180 models out on the field. Thats a huge amount of support and thanks are mainly due to the visitors who make the day a really special one - thank you!
Great to see Gary & Ang, GG Tobe and 'Aeromodeller' Andy again and lots of familiar faces, thank you all!
Sincere thanks to all the Pandas helpers and organisers, its always dangerous to name names in case we miss somebody but Bill the mowerman, Rob on finances, Tobe the chef, Ron for the mugs, Wes the spotlander, Dave who singlehandedly provided the C/L arena and of course our chairman 'BMFA Martin' steering the ship. Which incidentally, I noticed a few members doing... at least four lads took boats for a sail round the Ponty pond, which is brilliant, it all adds interest. I didnt get much video this year but I'll patch together what I have, hopefully it will give a bit of an overview at least.
Brilliant weather, brilliant people, brilliant day :D
Cheers
Phil
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

Looks like a fun event - Col's Velivole is pretty impressive.

There are some very small models, but a bit hard to identify them in the video. What was the variety of these half size? models, and how did they perform?
Richard