FlySky RM003 RF Module & iA6/iA6B receivers

Like B&Q for homebrew radios
MaxZ

FlySky RM003 RF Module & iA6/iA6B receivers

Post by MaxZ »

Hi Phil,

I have ordered the RM003 module. Assuming it is comparable with the RM002 except for the AFHDS 2A protocol, can I hook it up directly to a 2s lipo?
I do not intend to open it up to separate the HF part from the rest as you described, so the 7805 should take care of reducing the supply to 5V I guess, and your remark re. the Arduino voltage regulator being capable of supplying 200 mA min. should not be applicable in that case.
Just as well, since the ProMinis I have ordered show a LE50 regulator on the picture, which can only drive 100-150 mA max.

Cheers,
Max.
MaxZ

Re: FlySky RM003 RF Module & iA6/iA6B receivers

Post by MaxZ »

Found a user manual on the net, supply voltage ranges from 4.5V to 18V, so my question is answered.
2s Lipos it will be.

Cheers,
Max.
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

Hi all,

My Flysky RM003 RF module will not bind to my iA6B receivers. They are the Turnigy brand, but I have tested compatibility before with a Flysky Tx and they should bind. I have tried 2 Rx using the standard procedure, and variations. The module and the receivers both use the AFHDS2A protocol as clearly stated on the respective housings. I have also tried to run the module without ppm connection, but then it will not even enter bind mode.
Any ideas?

Cheers,
Max.
F2B

Post by F2B »

Ik heb, voor het geval dat het nodig is, nog wel een niet-B ontvanger te leen.
Of we kunnen even testen met mijn module (in de JR- X388S).
Misschien iets met het ppm format?
Kan alles meebrengen naar Garderen, als dat iets is...

Sorry for the Dutch, but I might have a short term solution here.
F2B or not to be....
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

Hi Bruno, thanks for the offer, I'll keep in contact.
For now, the plot thickens.

There is progress: I tried to bind the module with my iA6A receiver in the Tomboy, and it seems to have worked. The led on the Rx is flashing but as soon as I switch on the Tx/module it starts to light up continuously, which is a sign that the two have bound.

But on the other hand, there is more mystery: I hooked up the rudder servo connection to the pulse analyser, with the Tx off it shows "no pulse", but when I switch the Tx on a pulse of 1.5 ms appears. Operating the rudder from the Tx has no effect, the pulse remains constant at 1.5 ms.
You could expect that a continuous pulse is a sign that the Rx is in failsafe mode, but why does it disappear when I switch the Tx off?

To be sure, I tested the ppm stream from the arduino (with the module disconnected), and all was ok.

I did use the same Rx yesterday, bound to my propo Flysky/Turnigy Tx, and all was fine.

Can anyone give me a clue on how to proceed?

Cheers,
Max.
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

Just a thought: Rudder - or Aileron Rx output ?
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
MaxZ

Re: FlySky RM002 RF Module & R6B receiver

Post by MaxZ »

Spike S wrote: 23 May 2019, 12:26 Just a thought: Rudder - or Aileron Rx output ?
Rudder/Channel 1 on the S/C Tx. Tested with the ppm stream on the pulse analyser.

Cheers,
Max.
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

I have a sneaky feeling: The Flysky AFHDS2A protocol caters for basic telemetry, even from the iA6A receivers (transmission quality and Rx voltage), but it also checks Rx compatibility with the Tx memory ID before springing to life. Could it be that the Rx is waiting for a "handshake" from the Tx module which it obviously cannot deliver since there is no input for that?

Max.
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

I am giving up on the Flysky RM003 module. :evil: I have tried everything I could think of, different procedures for binding, delaying power up until the ppm stream is established and a completely different receiver, a small Banggood Rx with a proper bind button i.s.o. a bind plug, but it showed no sign of binding at all. Binding it to my Turnigy TGY i6 was not a problem.

I hooked up the ppm stream to my analyser and to the module at the same time to see if the signal was still there, all seemed well. Could it be signal level perhaps?

Incidentally, memory recognition is not as I remembered it. Changing the memory on the i6 did nothing to prevent the Rx functioning (both the iA6A and the Banggood).

Just to be sure I opened up the module, nothing suspicious there, the connecting socket is wired up exactly as in Phil's RM002, albeit with a different PCB layout. Most connections are GND, exceptions for Vcc and ppm.

Cheers,
Max.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Max, I just used my RM003 module mounted in an old JR Tx, to bind to 3 different Turnigy IA6B Rxs - all bound first time :shock:
This is what I used:
Flysky2A+Turnigy iA6b_s.jpg
I can do a short video if that is of any use?
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)