V8 DIY module failure

Like B&Q for homebrew radios
RON
Site Admin

V8 DIY module failure

Post by RON »

Here’s a strange one,

Took my digimac 4 from the cupboard to bind with a model and it bound perfectly but won’t work.
I know it’s bound as the green Rx light is on, then turns flashing red when tx is off.

I’m thinking, maybe the encoder needs setting up, though it was perfect last time I used it, after doing the usual method, it’s just the same, no servo movement. So out comes the handy ppm checker, unplugged the module from the pcb and plugged the checker in, Perfect ppm. So I know the encoder is working. Only other thing can the module, so as a final check I plugged one of Phil’s sc encoders into the module and no servo movement. I tried re binding to another rx and it’s just the same, so unfortunately the module has gone down. A bit odd,, as the RF side of the module works, including the low power setting
It’s a bit of a bummer really because the antenna bezel/cable is epoxied in, so will have to be removed to replace the module for a D8, which I don’t really like. Mind you I could remove the cable from the module end and leave it in situ.
There’s no reason I can think of why this has failed, bit scary
Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Mike_K

Re: V8 DIY module failure

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Ron

Later V8 modules came with the Shottky diode ready fitted in the lead. The diode was only butt jointed and then heat shrunk, so it's worth checking the solder joint hasn't broken, if there's a diode fitted in the lead.

Mike
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Thanks Mike & Phil,

Phil, the module has never been used for anything else as it’s too difficult to remove, like I said, the antenna cable and connector are epoxied into the macG case. Mike regarding the diode, I removed it during construction as there was one on the encoder board. I only use 2s power too. Looks like I’ll have to replace with a D series. Ugh.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

I've had a DHT module stop working for no apparent reason.
I hadn't used the Tiny6 Reeds for quite a while & when I turned it on, the module lights were dim & no response from the RX.
Testing found the tiny6 ok but the module gone. I also killed one with reverse polarity but that was pilot error.

I've also had both a D8iir & a D6 receiver lose range for no apparent reason. Both uncrashed or damaged but suddenly rssi alarms going off at 100m away & range test failed at 10 paces. Both work fine but even after replacing antenna still poor range. I use both for bench testing now.

To be fair, I have 9 frisky modules, 2 Frsky TX & 49 RX all working fine for many years but can confirm the odd one will go bad for no apparent reason.

Al
F2B

Post by F2B »

RON wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 09:49Looks like I’ll have to replace with a D series.
Mind you, Ron, the production of DHTs has been stopped already:
https://www.frsky-rc.com/discontinued/d ... x-modules/
I was looking for one lately for a clubmate's project, but the well seems to dry up rapidly... :(
So buy them while you still can, do it tonight.
I never used the V-protocol modules as I particularly liked the RSSI feedback I'm getting from the DHT, but with that being history as well, I have no idea what to use instead.
FrSky was the only one having a type approval in this country.

Bruno
F2B or not to be....
ozrs

Post by ozrs »

Banggood, HobbyKing and AlieExpress all seem to still have stock.
Richard
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

ozrs wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 04:47 Banggood, HobbyKing and AlieExpress all seem to still have stock.
For what its worth, HK are still advertising them, but I've had a couple on back order with them since 24th August :cry:
I also ordered another 2 from Banggood at the same time and they turned up after a little over 2 weeks 8-)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
F2B

Post by F2B »

ozrs wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 04:47 Banggood, HobbyKing and AlieExpress all seem to still have stock.
HK backorder and since FrSky stopped sales, none to be expected through HK anymore.

BG doesn't mention backorder, but I have my doubts.

With AE they will let you order, pretending they're having plenty on stock.
But one day later, shipping will be cancelled and it will take more than 10 days before you will be able to claim a refund. Then it will take ages for your money to return.

So I'm afraid FrSky, that had been my favourite for a decade, has closed the door on us.
Since both Orange and FlySky are not allowed here, effectively homebuikts are a thing of the past here... :(
F2B or not to be....
F2B

Post by F2B »

Phil_G wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 20:40
F2B wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 18:04So I'm afraid FrSky, that had been my favourite for a decade, has closed the door on us.
Not really Bruno, they've just evolved to their X series, which are perfectly usable for our purposes.
The V8 series ran out of guids so they had run their course, and the D8s dont comply with EU LBT regs so they cant sell them in the EU once stock is gone. Far from Frsky "closing the door on us", they've come up with a new replacement in the XJT which allows us to continue whilst keeping the EU bureaucrats happy.
That is more or less where our misunderstanding comes from.
Our authorities sort of mentioned in their rules, that 'any alteration makes the compliance void'. Having asked, that meant for instance, that taking the XJT out of it's case would void it's use.
There was no mention of taking off the shrink wrap though, so I decided that was OK for a DHT.
How I'd wish they would supply a shrink wrapped XHT!
I know that putting the (intact) module in a slot of a new S/C TX box is possible (you made a great example of that), but I was after a compact version, calling for a ‘circuit board module‘.
Phil_G wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 18:04
F2B wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 18:04 Since both Orange and FlySky are not allowed here [the Netherlands - Phil_G], effectively homebuilts are a thing of the past here... :(
Why is that Bruno? both are compliant, I'm sure I recall seeing FCC certs for both.
There are still plenty of used DM8 & DM9 modules out there, surely they must be compliant.
FCC, doesn’t mean it has CE approval as well. Sometimes, yes, but not always.
The CE markings on Orange stuff don’t have any legal value here. I wish they had...
Because to be legal, stuff must be imported into the EU trading zone and the importer should apply for a CE allowance. Doable, but only cost effective when trading large quantities.
HK cleverly doesn’t supply the Orange and FrSky items from their EU warehouse, only Global.
Which makes the customer the legal importer and stuck with all the legal issues....
There is no other importer for both Orange and FlySky, so that would come on the shoulders of each individual. The cost of getting ones own individually imported material CE approved is prohibitive to the average aeromodeller/RC tinkerer...

It’s not so much that not 100% following the rules scares me off, but for the times I am flying on club sites (as in: at home), where insurance issues would make my stuff illegal there, it would spoil my fun..
If all that's left would be a XJT in a JR shaped slot, then that's what we'll do. :lol:

Looking at it all, the UK seems to be better off here.
Phil_G wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 20:40 Still lots of options, no need to buy a Horus yet :lol:
:shock: ....... :lol:

And yes, when I've finished the second proto Little Black Box, I'll do some documentation. Promised ;)
F2B or not to be....