Shiny Boxes aka Controlaire Tx's

Single to Multi propo
Mike_K

Re: Shiny Boxes aka Controlaire Tx's

Post by Mike_K »

Wow, your location is even more impressive than I'd imagined. I thought you'd be on a small airfield, not one large enough to operate jets. Will you be able to fly models from the site as well?

I'm even more jealous now!

Mike
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Unfortunately, and officially, no model flying allowed under the Air Navigation Regs. There is no official modeling Club, but I do have virtually unrestricted access to a private farm only 10 minutes drive away :)

There's also a very strong antique and vintage vehicle and farm machinery group on 5 acres in town - cars, bikes, trucks, ambulances, fire engines, tractors (diesel, petrol, kerosene, steam), headers, plough's, stationary and traction engines, etc., etc. - supported by local Council.

Plenty to stop any of us getting bored :lol: 8-)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Sorry lads, but just back on topic briefly :P :lol:

I've had a Corona Tx module and Rx sitting around forever, not being used, so it's going into the MAN 2-3-4 Tx.
Corona Tx_Module+Rx_s.jpg

I like Paul's method of disguising the 2.4g antenna, but rather than have the telescopic antenna there just for cosmetic appeal(?), I'm going to recycle a 29Mhz RF board and have switch selectable frequency bands. The 29Mhz RF board and matching Silvertone Rx, although old, have been 100% reliable. Just feels like a perfect match for the MAN Tx 8-)
Cheers,

Wayne
jmendoza

Post by jmendoza »

Mike,
your is factory built because it has a serial number, kits and semi kits lacked a serial number.

I think the 234 used a uni-junction for the master clock.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Finally got the MAN 2-3-4 Tx finished :shock:

I couldn't get the old Corona tx module working back when, so temporarily shelved the tx conversion. Then COVID hit (which meant I couldn't travel to NZ as I had been for my work on the road project which was financing construction of our airfield retirement dream) so we (my very understanding wife & I) moved into a small caravan parked inside the hangar to cut costs & save dead money on rent. We've been surrounded by storage boxes & house building supplies ever since. Thankfully, the van is now gone, as most of the mezzanine has been converted to laundry, bathroom, kitchen, office (for teleworking) & bedroom.

Whoops, got a bit off point there 8-) Anyway, I rediscovered the MAN 2-3-4 in a box I was unpacking, along with a heap of Frsky gear & thought why not. I downed construction tools & took some time off and here is the result.
Finished M.A.N. 2-3-4
Finished M.A.N. 2-3-4
I dropped a Frsky DHT (diy) module in to replace the kaput Corona, wired the DHT and the 29Mhz AM rf board through a selector switch (the blue s/w in the picture) and secured the loose wiring. The bind board & telemetry s/w are both left inside the case. The UHF antenna is hidden in the pennant, Paul's idea that I shamelessly nicked 8-).
Antenna base showing telescopic antenna mount and 2.4Ghz wire to antenna hidden in bottom of Tx pennant
Antenna base showing telescopic antenna mount and 2.4Ghz wire to antenna hidden in bottom of Tx pennant
Phil's 4 ch Digispark (ATtiny85) encoder is the smartz, doing everything I need from this tx.
20201114_194126.jpg
20201114_194320.jpg
It's worth sharing the lessons I learnt with this particular conversion:
  • the throttle function was very erratic. I'd previously checked all the pots so knew it wasn't that. Close inspection showed that the pot shaft was slipping intermittently within the plastic clamp. When I tightened the clamp screw I found it was stripped.
  • soft throttle lock - a great idea, that I clean forgot about after I had fixed the slipping pot shaft. Didn't that cause a head scratch or two for a shortwhile!! Duh :oops:
Another successful conversion using yet another encoder from this forum, completed with the use of test gear also from this forum. Gotta luv that :D

P.S. thanks yet again to Phil, Martin, Ron, et al
Cheers,

Wayne
JohnH

Post by JohnH »

Beautiful job! I am curious about the UHF range. Does the VHF metal antenna act as a shield and limit the UHF transmission range?
Thanks,
John H.
John H.
"Here's another fine mess you've gotten me into."
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

JohnH wrote: 15 Nov 2020, 15:52 ....... Does the VHF metal antenna act as a shield and limit the UHF transmission range?
Thanks, John H.
John, I did a quick (ground) range test this afternoon and got a comfortable 900m. I had the Rx & servos while my wife had the Tx while we spoke on the mobile phone. At 900m I got her to turn around, wave the Tx about, point it towards me, etc and the link was solid. While I haven't flown it yet, based on the ground test, I'm more than happy to use it 'in anger' :P
range test MAN.234.JPG
Cheers,

Wayne
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

This has just popped up on ebay though at the price he is asking, I doubt if it will sell quickly........ 'Nice though. It must be a very early shiny box.... :?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-CONT ... 0005.m1851

Paul
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Ouch..... the asking price is "out there" :shock:

I'm no Controlaire expert, but I haven't seen one like that before. Maybe Jay or one of our other American cousins can provide some more info?
Cheers,

Wayne
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

....you mean this model?
20201211_194052.jpg
20201211_194028.jpg
20201211_194641.jpg
Cheers,

Tobe