Wizard of Oz

They stay up by magic!
chlluk

Wizard of Oz

Post by chlluk »

Hi all
Just received my full size copy of the Wizard of Oz plan, what a wonderful aircraft. Has all the attributes of a good day out. Sturdy construction for rough field work , bigger than expected. Am looking forward to starting work on this one.
Clive
GeeW

Re: Wizard of Oz

Post by GeeW »

Clive
I know others of this parish like to re-scale various designs of yesteryear. Will you be building full size? More importantly will you be staying with all that lovely (until you try to cover it) under-camber?
Just asking as I have looked long and hard at the W-of-Oz and wondered whether a 36" version might make a nice model?
Regards

Gordon
chlluk

Post by chlluk »

My thinking as well, its quite a piece of furniture. Love the under camber, reminds me of KK Senator, Im sure that's what gives that little model its wonderful glide.
Clive
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

Hi Clive,

Thinking of building one how did yours work out?

Best

Nick
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

(originally posted this under wrong thread...)

I've been serial building Wizard(s) of Oz as it was my first slope soared on super regen futaba

Made a 48 inch version and two smaller sizes - tried to take some video but failed

some pictures here - again you need to be an enthusiast ...

https://av8planes.weebly.com/wizard-of-oz.html

I've made wings out of 6mm depron ribs + 3 x carbon fibre arrows + 2mm correx - right hand side is covered with doculam and left hand side in H king film to see the difference (doculam slightly lighter)

Fuselage in 6mm depron + some ply under nose , tailplane is same as wings

Some advantage in having correx on undersurface if you fly over stones
glyn

Post by glyn »

My new Wizard

Just finished my third Wizard Of Oz (WOO). Sorry about the indoor photo but once again the wind is howling outside and even the Woo's wings would barely take the stress if I ventured into the storm.

It is built more or less as per the plan and covered in Solartex. I haven't flown it yet (not surprisingly). The canopy is solid balsa block which was intended to be the plug for a clear canopy but as I needed weight in the nose I just used that instead. The front end feels very substantial as a result.
I will probably edit this as I think of more to say.
Think I may call it the "NOO WOO"!
Cheers
4C7B1341-5CB1-4A91-8265-8D9ACE4ABE73.jpg
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

'Lovely job (as usual) Glyn! :P What happened to the other two? :?

Paul
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

I think we lost Glyn's 'Wasserkuppe' thread with 'Reunited' but I remember photos of the WOO going well there... :D
glyn

Post by glyn »

Hi Paul and Phil
My first Wizard I built when I was about 14 or so, I think I crashed it trying to fly off a pit spoil heap up in’t north a long time ago!
The second eventually had to be put down after being lost on the north Yorks Moors for a couple of weeks and getting very wet and warped. Ron managed to locate it and sent it back to me via the greatest retrieval sagas known to man. Well nearly!
I hope to revive the “Flying in Famous Places” with the new Woo.
Below is the 2nd Woo flying at the Wasserkuppe.. great holiday!
wasserkuppe.jpg
Last edited by glyn on 12 Jan 2020, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
GeeW

Post by GeeW »

Great shot of your WoO. Looks a wonderful location