ACE RC Foam Wings

Something to sell, buy or swap?
List it here.
Wayne_H

Re: ACE RC Foam Wings

Post by Wayne_H »

Igull wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 21:18 What's a c/l team racer BTW ? Must be something from the last century I presume - never heard of it - maybe Phil's got one in the same box as his Ace RC Foam wing :)

Cheers

Neil
I bet you he has, available(?) with no strings attached :roll: :oops:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Igull

Post by Igull »

Hi All
Thanks for all the info on the foam wings everyone !
I've just finished cutting and boxing the first of the sets - the parallel chord version, the tapered one will follow suit shortly (assuming the weather stays as it is of course - flying first - did get some beach soaring in yesterday - 2 degC and a SSE - bluddy freezing is the term I think :-) )
You can get them on fleabay here ...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/293424411786

Or via me directly with a 10% discount - free shipping of course :-)

I and a friend built up a couple of sets for fun - takes about 15 mins with thin cyano (or horses hoof glue if that's your thing :-) ) Using a 25mm (1" in old money) cotton bandage and thin PVA is fine for joining them, but I'm sure there will be those that prefer a 3/8" sq beech joiner 'just to be safe' :-) There's a piece of 1.5mm aircraft ply included in case you feel the need.

Cheers

Neil
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Neil,
very well done and very much need.
There was also a center section for the ACE wings, a short and a long! The short was used not least in the Pacer and Mach None from Ace. The long section was used in some of the glider kits.
Cheers,

Tobe
Igull

Post by Igull »

Tobe wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 05:25 There was also a center section for the ACE wings, a short and a long!
I did see some plans with extra bits, but they weren't included in the regular boxes were they ?
Please say no as my boxes are all sealed :)

So what was the story behind that, did you have to buy another wing set and chop it up ? - I'm all for that :lol:

Making a mini kit extension wouldn't be an issue - even ribs/sheeting sheets only is possible.

Cheers

Neil
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

To what I recall they were only included in specific kits like the 1/2A Pacer & Mach None but not i.e. in the Dicks Dream and the Wizard. If you bought a wing kit only the extension was an option.
The Pacer wing had this mid section with the tapered main foam cores and were assembled in such way that the top was straight i.e. the wing only had the profile dihedro. The span with mid section is 40" vs. 34" w/o
Attachments
ACE Alpha.pdf
(388.78 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
ACE Pacer.pdf
(1.29 MiB) Downloaded 227 times
Dicks Dream A4.pdf
(1.87 MiB) Downloaded 194 times
Cheers,

Tobe
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Tobe wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 06:56 To what I recall they were only included in specific kits like the 1/2A Pacer & Mach None.......
My Whizard kit, purchased directly from ACE in the late 70's came with the 5-3/4" constant chord centre section. Similarly, the Ace High kit came with 2 x constant chord panels and 2 x tapered panels to give the 70" wingspan. I still have the Whizard - a fabulous flyer! 8-)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
Igull

Post by Igull »

Wayne/Tobe, thanks for that detail.
OK, seems like a small 6"/150mm centre section extension kit would be worthwhile. I've already done the ribs, so there's no effort in there other than cutting strip. That could be included in the main box if ordered at the same time. Ebay are a pita if you're not a super seller - adding options like centre sections to menus isn't possible, so it will have to be a second box.There's enough ply in the main wing box to make more braces if required.
I'm sure that Phil has loads of these foam extensions - there's probably a joke in there :lol: :lol:
The tapered wing version should be out in the next couple of weeks hopefully.
Cheers
Neil
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Neil,
I'm not sure if you notice but the Dicks Dream drawing shows all the ribs in full scale for a built up wing.

Tobe
Cheers,

Tobe
stuart mackay

Post by stuart mackay »

Hi Neil, would really like a tapered version for my nearly built kit Mach None with a TeeDee 051 in the nose.
Stupidly the wing got chucked in a house move twenty years back!

Let me know when they are available?

Thanks

Stuart
stormer254

Post by stormer254 »

Just picked up a set of Ace parallel chord wings on Evil bay, did they belong to anyone on here?