2.4 modules discontinued!

Like B&Q for homebrew radios
jmendoza

Re: 2.4 modules discontinued! Question for Phil

Post by jmendoza »

Phil,
I was thinking (I know, that is dangerous) and wanted to ask you a question:

Is it possible to use the serial output of the Arduino, or in my case the Pro Mini Strong, to connect to the multiprotocol modules that do not have a selector switch for PPM? I assume this would require statements to be added to the sketch.

It appears this might be the only way to go in the future because even the proposed Lemon RX module has no protocol selector switch for manual selection of PPM output and appears to be a serial device.

I suspect that despite a strong market for conversion modules, especially the DIY and non-serial modules, the manufacturers have discontinued them because they are undercutting the new transmitter sales. Itis interesting to note that right as the HK discontinued their FrSky, Corona and Orange modules, they doubled the price on the few remaining ones they had. In addition, at the same time, all the multi-protocol modules are now twice the price as well.
Wayne_H

Re: 2.4 modules discontinued!

Post by Wayne_H »

Despite genuine physical altercations in Australian supermarkets over which punter deserves the last packet of toilet paper before the COVID19 Armageddon ends life as we know it, the impacts on Chinese production and distribution facilities are a real consequence. It can only mean further difficulties and/or delays for end users like us once local importer's stocks are exhausted .

It will take time for manufacturers to get back up to full scale production once permitted to operate by their government and longer for local stock levels to be replenished. I fear it may well provide justification for manufacturers to "rationalise" their range and pricing "policies".

Time will tell.🤔
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
jmendoza

Post by jmendoza »

I would like to blame the Coronavirus,but the fact is that HK over the last 6 months has slowly been discontinuing their 2.4GHz modules, Orange RX, Corona, and FrSky.

At first, HK ran out and quit offering the auto versions for Futaba, then they quit offering the switchable Futaba modules, and now the auto and switchable JR/Spektrum versions are no longer available along with the DIY Orange module and finally they discontinued the FrSky DIY DHT. It is apparent this is not a supply problem, and more of an issue related to the demand for these modules. Maybe there was very little demand, or they had other reasons, like wanting to sell you a complete Tx. and kill off the retro-conversion business which cuts into their new transmitter sales.
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

Phil_G wrote: 29 Apr 2020, 15:32 Its over a month since I ordered two DHTs when they were briefly available... has anyone received theirs?
The tracking page was last updated on the 28th March (a month ago...) and says its with Singapore Post,
"En Route to Postal Facility" whatever that means...
same here (via HK):
Schermafbeelding 2020-04-29 om 17.38.41.png
Cheers,
Max.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Same for my DHT too. And I recently ordered some OrangeRx DIY modules from HK and I can't even get tracking details for them. But I guess at the moment we'll all just have to be patient and wait. How come some CC2500 and nRF24L01 modules come in a few days from China? Knowing my luck, they'll all arrive when T9 has the new XHT DIY Modules in stock.

Mike
_AL_

Post by _AL_ »

Singpost is the worst carrier known to man.
How long does it take for a Camel to swim to the UK?

Al
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

_AL_ wrote: 30 Apr 2020, 10:19 Singpost is the worst carrier known to man.
How long does it take for a Camel to swim to the UK?

Al
Can't be a camel, it would have swam here by now. Maybe it's stopped on route, to social distance itself?
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

Phil_G wrote: 31 May 2020, 15:09 I dont think these DHTs exist. I wonder if HK made a mistake listing them.
Its two months - I've asked for a refund.
So did I, first directly with HK, but they were not forthcoming. "Check your local PO", and "Sorry, we will have to wait for a message from our shipper". So I claimed via PayPal, and now my order status at HK shows 'PayPal Reversed". I don't know what that means exactly, but I have not seen any money yet.......

When it gets here, I will invest it in Phil's NRF24 project :D (actually I already have.....)

Cheers,
Max.
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

My DHT have arrived :D
Al Clark

Lemon DSMP Module

Post by Al Clark »

I sent an email to Lemon asking about their DSMP Module and received the reply shown below this morning. It sounds like it is close to being released.

The transmitter module is being tested by the hobbyists from RCG. I have just got a report from them. Please stay tuned in RCG or check our website again for availability. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Lemon Rx Officer

I ordered a 4-in-1 Module from Banggood April 18th, but have not received it yet, and the tracking number has no information, so I think the module is probably still in China somewhere. I have good experience with Lemon receivers so I think I would prefer to use Lemon's DSMP Module anyhow.
Al Clark