Been sloping...

They stay up by magic!
NeilMac

Re: Been sloping...

Post by NeilMac » 03 Jul 2019, 20:02

The only slope soarer in my past Carl is a Veron Impala owned by a friend which on several occasions we attempted to keep in the air as long as possible after flinging it from the top of the highest mound we could find on Wanstead Flats.

Revisiting my past was where this whole retromodelling thing started, and is the very reason I bought and converted the MacGregor Digi 2.4 that is presently installed in the Precedent Hi Fly. I will get the Hi Fly over to Middle Hope at the next sign of a solid North or North Easterly breeze.

I will build an Impala at some point, but have just got some plans for the Blunderbird 3, which I found on Ebay for almost nothing. The next move is to rack up more flying hours and then finally join the 'guys' over on Crook Peak... even if it is just with the Lidl.
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"

Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H » 04 Jul 2019, 02:56

At least I wish I'd been sloping... :cry:

There's a very good reason why my region is classified as the South West Slopes & Plains - there ain't no decent accessible hills (that I or other locals have been able to find anyway)!! Even the "slopes" are rolling plains. Being an optimist I remain hopeful in my quest for the grail.....

You guys enjoy every sloping opportunity you get!! Meanwhile, my collection of slopers shall remain in their boxes :( and my bucket list of retro slopers will stay just that, a list :roll:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ :roll:

Martin

Post by Martin » 04 Jul 2019, 08:03

It's amazing how small a 'slope' is needed. In Denmark, they hold international F3F races on a 'slope' no more than ten metres high - it's a sea wall and some low sand dunes. Of course, it does have the benefit of smooth air flowing in from the sea, and a nice flat beach to land on.

NeilMac

Post by NeilMac » 04 Jul 2019, 08:13

I used to fly two line kites on Weston beach, and the on shore wind there was so smooth you could really fly some amazing precision patterns in it. Yesterday I was just a few miles up the coast and although the wind was coming over Wales before it got to me, the 10 or 15 mile stretch of the Bristol Channel between Wales and me plus the steady 8 to 10 MPH blow meant I had a very easy time of it, plus the Lidl glider is SO easy to fly that I was just able to take full advantage of the conditions... while concentration and batteries held out.

I do have an Aero-Naut LT200 currently on the building board, so that when the wind is from the wrong direction at least I can motor up, as Middle Hope is just a spine of rock sticking up and so can produce lift on either side, although there is scrub and low trees on the South facing slope, hence the need for a motor glider. It is National Trust land, so I have to be a little careful about how much I use power though... not that I have ever seen a warden up there.
"I'm your huckleberry, that's just my game"

VC10 RON
Site Admin

Post by VC10 RON » 06 Jul 2019, 20:32

Been out with the invader again today.
All went well. Here’s a short video.

Ron

If you would like to contribute a small amount to the upkeep of this forum, then hit the donate button at the top of the page on the links bar. Thanks

PaulJ

Post by PaulJ » 06 Jul 2019, 21:56

'Lovely Ron :P ......... It certainly is distinctive! But the slope doesn't look any better than we have at Felixstowe. How high do you guestimate the slope is?

VC10 RON
Site Admin

Post by VC10 RON » 06 Jul 2019, 22:07

Thanks Paul
Not very high, maybe around 100 feet or so.
It’s a lot higher further round, maybe 300ft. Very smooth lift though.

Ron.
If you would like to contribute a small amount to the upkeep of this forum, then hit the donate button at the top of the page on the links bar. Thanks

VC10 RON
Site Admin

Post by VC10 RON » 12 Jul 2019, 21:44

Went out with the old Amigo yesterday with our Oliver to summer hill, He's been asking for ages to go gliding with me and would like to try a go at sloping. The Amigo was a good choice, very stable and easy to fly.
The best part was when I gave him the transmitter for the first time, he moved the stick to the left to correct a turn and said he got tingles in his tummy as the glider did exactly what his fingers were doing, How many of us can remember the feeling! Brilliant. Brings back all the memories for me.

Ron
IMG_1211.jpeg

Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H » 13 Jul 2019, 00:15

Well done Oliver, and top job Ron! Sharing the discovery & achievement with the next generation is a wonderful experience :D . For me it's with the grandkids ;)
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ :roll: