Single Channel flying in New Zealand

Button pushers
John Ryan

Post by John Ryan »

Here is a picture of a couple of models flown today at the Rotorua Club field.
The small model is a Mills 75 powered rudder only Modelair Humming Bird. This was a NZ F/F kit back in the 1960s we flew them rudder only and later on used Enya .09 and OS Pets they were hotrods and required lots of down thrust. Now days a Mills 75 makes a very plesant flying machine.
The other model is a 110% Tyro. We always mounted the tailplane on top of the fus so it didn't get wiped off by the long grass. The other mod we made is to use a flat bottom lifting section tailplane. This helped reduce the zoom coming out of a turn.
Both are flown with one of Phils emulators on tthe back of a Futaba 40Mhz RF module. The Tyro has rudder , kick up elevator and 3 position engine.
Urge is provided by an OS 10FSR. Lots of fun and enjoyment.
Attachments
Sc Models.jpg
Stew

Re: Single Channel flying in New Zealand

Post by Stew »

Lovely models, both nice looking designs. I'll try and remember those mods if I ever build a Tyro.
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

Models just the right size, and the Tyro is on my to build list, one day in the future, you say a 10FSR on 110%, must be very light.
Cheers,

Dave
John Ryan

Post by John Ryan »

Used to fly it with three standard servos with a Max 15 Mk3 and AA battery pack several years ago. After several years of rest in the back of the workshop I recently changed to flying it single channel with 3 mini servos and a AAA battery pack. The 15 is a bit worn so I tried the 10 FSR and its worked out very well. It's not the lighest model ever built. Wing is covered in nylon and fus is finished with 3/4 oz glass cloth.
flea_flyer

Post by flea_flyer »

I'd be very interested in getting a plan for the Hummingbird. Anyone got any leads?
flea_flyer
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

flea_flyer wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 08:15 I'd be very interested in getting a plan for the Hummingbird. Anyone got any leads?
flea_flyer
The Modelair Hummingbird is a very popular NZ free flight model (often referred to as the NZ Tomboy) and was designed in 1962 by the late Angus McDonald.

I don't have a copy of the plan but a reduced scale version is shown in Issue 180 of the AVANZ Newsletter (October 2020) which can be downloaded here: http://www.modelflyingnz.org/sigs/Vinta ... ws_180.pdf

The Hummingbird is a pretty simple design and it would not be too hard to draw yourself up a full size plan.

Cheers

Brian Z
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

Unread post by John Ryan » 24 Nov 2021, 04:41

We always mounted the tailplane on top of the fus so it didn't get wiped off by the long grass. The other mod we made is to use a flat bottom lifting section tailplane. This helped reduce the zoom coming out of a turn.

Just read John's comment and interested in the lifting tailplane idea to reduce zoom

Reason I ask is because I'm having trouble with my Wizard of Oz glider which zooms after a turn (parallel chord wing / lifting tailplane). Much more pronounced than on my Zeitgeist (polyhedral wing / plate tailplane). CG is slightly in front of where it should be on the plan. Would be keen to sort it out as my first R/c which Futaba s/c (now fly it on Jumper lite with emulator which I have fitted with a momentary button to replace the 2 position switch).

Tend to fly it on a site where you can't easily land round the back so have to lose height in front of the slope and do a creeping rising slope land. Not being able to control the zoom makes this pretty much impossible - at least with my skill level. Can do it with the Zeitgeist though (ish)