Single Channel flying in New Zealand

Button pushers
John Ryan

Post by John Ryan »

Here is a picture of a couple of models flown today at the Rotorua Club field.
The small model is a Mills 75 powered rudder only Modelair Humming Bird. This was a NZ F/F kit back in the 1960s we flew them rudder only and later on used Enya .09 and OS Pets they were hotrods and required lots of down thrust. Now days a Mills 75 makes a very plesant flying machine.
The other model is a 110% Tyro. We always mounted the tailplane on top of the fus so it didn't get wiped off by the long grass. The other mod we made is to use a flat bottom lifting section tailplane. This helped reduce the zoom coming out of a turn.
Both are flown with one of Phils emulators on tthe back of a Futaba 40Mhz RF module. The Tyro has rudder , kick up elevator and 3 position engine.
Urge is provided by an OS 10FSR. Lots of fun and enjoyment.
Attachments
Sc Models.jpg
Stew

Re: Single Channel flying in New Zealand

Post by Stew »

Lovely models, both nice looking designs. I'll try and remember those mods if I ever build a Tyro.
iflylilplanes

Post by iflylilplanes »

Models just the right size, and the Tyro is on my to build list, one day in the future, you say a 10FSR on 110%, must be very light.
Cheers,

Dave
John Ryan

Post by John Ryan »

Used to fly it with three standard servos with a Max 15 Mk3 and AA battery pack several years ago. After several years of rest in the back of the workshop I recently changed to flying it single channel with 3 mini servos and a AAA battery pack. The 15 is a bit worn so I tried the 10 FSR and its worked out very well. It's not the lighest model ever built. Wing is covered in nylon and fus is finished with 3/4 oz glass cloth.
flea_flyer

Post by flea_flyer »

I'd be very interested in getting a plan for the Hummingbird. Anyone got any leads?
flea_flyer
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

Cheers,

Tobe
BrianZ

Post by BrianZ »

flea_flyer wrote: 27 Nov 2021, 08:15 I'd be very interested in getting a plan for the Hummingbird. Anyone got any leads?
flea_flyer
The Modelair Hummingbird is a very popular NZ free flight model (often referred to as the NZ Tomboy) and was designed in 1962 by the late Angus McDonald.

I don't have a copy of the plan but a reduced scale version is shown in Issue 180 of the AVANZ Newsletter (October 2020) which can be downloaded here: http://www.modelflyingnz.org/sigs/Vinta ... ws_180.pdf

The Hummingbird is a pretty simple design and it would not be too hard to draw yourself up a full size plan.

Cheers

Brian Z
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

Unread post by John Ryan » 24 Nov 2021, 04:41

We always mounted the tailplane on top of the fus so it didn't get wiped off by the long grass. The other mod we made is to use a flat bottom lifting section tailplane. This helped reduce the zoom coming out of a turn.

Just read John's comment and interested in the lifting tailplane idea to reduce zoom

Reason I ask is because I'm having trouble with my Wizard of Oz glider which zooms after a turn (parallel chord wing / lifting tailplane). Much more pronounced than on my Zeitgeist (polyhedral wing / plate tailplane). CG is slightly in front of where it should be on the plan. Would be keen to sort it out as my first R/c which Futaba s/c (now fly it on Jumper lite with emulator which I have fitted with a momentary button to replace the 2 position switch).

Tend to fly it on a site where you can't easily land round the back so have to lose height in front of the slope and do a creeping rising slope land. Not being able to control the zoom makes this pretty much impossible - at least with my skill level. Can do it with the Zeitgeist though (ish)
John Ryan

Post by John Ryan »

Hello Nick
The theory behind the lifting section tail is that it produces more lift as the speed increases thus lifting the tail. Taken to it's extreme it will push the model into an ever increasing dive. You could try increasing the tail area on the Wizard of Oz it get more leverage. It's trial and error! The Wizard of Oz was my first slope soarer with a McGregor Terrytone Rx and OS K1 escapement. Also flown on a site with no landind area at the top so landings were a semi controlled crash into the hill side.
Good luck with your flying.
John
John Ryan

Post by John Ryan »

Here is a PDF of the Modelair Hummingbird
Attachments
HUMMING BIRD PDF.pdf
(392.49 KiB) Downloaded 127 times