C&S Electronics Falcon

Button pushers
MJF

C&S Electronics Falcon

Post by MJF »

I recently acquired a number of old radios primarily to get this C&S Falcon model CS-502 and a Futaba FT-3A.

The Falcon is in quite good condition and will be converted to 2.4 over this winter - time permitting.
Nice green color & graphics on these old metal boxes - part of "n" is missing - its not a Falcor!
Nice green color & graphics on these old metal boxes - part of "n" is missing - its not a Falcor!
Lots of room inside. I will leave the electronics in it and make up some battery covers to hide the new 2.4 equipment. I plan on using a FrSky XHT module that I have on order.
Lots of room inside. I will leave the electronics in it and make up some battery covers to hide the new 2.4 equipment. I plan on using a FrSky XHT module that I have on order.
MJF

Re: C&S Electronics Falcon

Post by MJF »

My FrSky XHT order arrived so I put the Executor build aside for now and decided to
convert my C&S Electronics Falcon 1 to 2.4Ghz.
This will be the radio used for the Executor.
The Phil G emulator board located in place.<br />Drilled a 3/4&quot; hole through the existing aluminum plate and added some slit fuel line tube as a grommet to allow the wires to pass without chafing from the upper electronics bay to the battery bay in the bottom
The Phil G emulator board located in place.
Drilled a 3/4" hole through the existing aluminum plate and added some slit fuel line tube as a grommet to allow the wires to pass without chafing from the upper electronics bay to the battery bay in the bottom
The XHT module will go into one of the <br />simulated Burgess batteries, 9.6V NiMh battery<br />pack into the other one. <br />The EverReady battery will remain empty
The XHT module will go into one of the
simulated Burgess batteries, 9.6V NiMh battery
pack into the other one.
The EverReady battery will remain empty
The new 2.4 antenna is a lot smaller than the old 27 MHz one. I usually use some RC car body washers to solve this but I am out of those and we are in another Covid lock
The new 2.4 antenna is a lot smaller than the old 27 MHz one. I usually use some RC car body washers to solve this but I am out of those and we are in another Covid lock
Rummaging through some of my old aircraft hardware I found I had a couple of these 3/4&quot; X .020&quot; thick stainless steel 100 degree countersunk washers left over. Drilled out to suit the new antenna they worked perfectly. New ones also cost far less than the plastic RC car body washers!
Rummaging through some of my old aircraft hardware I found I had a couple of these 3/4" X .020" thick stainless steel 100 degree countersunk washers left over. Drilled out to suit the new antenna they worked perfectly. New ones also cost far less than the plastic RC car body washers!
Stainless washers installed look pretty good
Stainless washers installed look pretty good
Notice the small gap between the bottom of the antenna and the brass antenna base. <br />I am sure the coax pin in the antenna and base are mated properly.
Notice the small gap between the bottom of the antenna and the brass antenna base.
I am sure the coax pin in the antenna and base are mated properly.
XHT bind board located. I like this one over the old DHT unit.
XHT bind board located. I like this one over the old DHT unit.
A full complement of simulated batteries - all 136 1/2 Volts worth!
A full complement of simulated batteries - all 136 1/2 Volts worth!
All of the original equipment is still on board in addition the the 2.4 equipment.
All of the original equipment is still on board in addition the the 2.4 equipment.
Two small diodes from the Phil G board poking through servo grommets in the front above the &quot;key&quot; button are the only physical changes to the original case
Two small diodes from the Phil G board poking through servo grommets in the front above the "key" button are the only physical changes to the original case
The completed transmitter ready for the flying season.<br />back to building the plane for it now.
The completed transmitter ready for the flying season.
back to building the plane for it now.
Martin

Post by Martin »

Lovely sympathetic conversion/restoration. It's almost a shame to fit the back on the transmitter and hide the vintage electronics. I'm sure that back will be off and on fairly regularly, so that you and your fellow modellers can admire the innards.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

A fine conversion indeed - well done👏👏. Certainly a Back to the Future Falcon, right down to the flux capacitor warning - I love it, as I'm certain does Doc Emmett Brown :geek:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)