RCS Guidance System and MacGregor MR 200 Transmitter look-alikes

Button pushers
RogerMacey

RCS Guidance System and MacGregor MR 200 Transmitter look-alikes

Post by RogerMacey »

Hi everyone. I’m new to Mode Zero, so many thanks for letting me join your group. I’ve been aeromodelling for over 60 years on and off, so have many happy memories of days gone by. A short while ago I came across Phil and Shaun’s wonderful Single Channel site, and this rekindled my interest in the “good old days”.

I thought one or two of you may be interested in two “look-alike” Single Channel 2.4GHz transmitters that I have put together - an RCS and a MacGregor - so here’s a little bit about them.

1. RCS Guidance System Transmitter “look-alike”.
IMG_20210103_140025.jpg
IMG_20210103_135629.jpg
The electronics consist of a PPM Encoder Board and Microswitch Pushbutton / Wiring Harness all kindly supplied by Phil Green, a FrSky V8HT 2.4GHz RF Module and Antenna which I sourced from Ebay, and a 9.6V 1200mAH AA NiMh Battery Pack, plus On-Off switch and Charging Socket. The PPM Encoder Board is mounted so that the Configuration / Tell-Tale LEDs are right next to the Microswitch (as recommended by Phil), and the FrSky Bind Board is mounted in the upper left hand side of the case, with the Bind Switch and LED accessible from outside.

The case is a commercial die-cast aluminium Hammond 1590J enclosure approx. 5 ½” x 3 ½” x 1 ½” (which is quite close in size to the original pressed steel case) which I sprayed with Grey Hammer Finish paint.

The RCS Badge was created originally in 2D (*.SVG format) using Microsoft Excel Insert Shapes, and working from whatever old pictures I could find, then converted online into 3D (*.STL format) using Selva3D, and finally printed on my “toy” Da Vinci Mini 3D Printer, followed by a little sanding here and there. I know it’s not 100% true to the original badge, but looks OK from a distance !

The “Guidance System” lettering is 10mm high Impact Italic Bold font, produced using black self adhesive vinyl on my Cricut Joy vinyl cutter/printer.

Receiver used is a FrSky V8FR-II, and everything works as it should, thanks to Phil’s Encoder. 1 press for Right Rudder, 2 for Left, 3 for Up Elevator, and Quick-Blip to toggle Throttle.

2. MacGregor MR 200 Transmitter “look-alike”.
IMG_20210103_135828.jpg
IMG_20210103_135646.jpg
As with the RCS transmitter above, the electronics consist of a PPM Encoder Board and Microswitch Pushbutton / Wiring Harness all kindly supplied by Phil Green, a FrSky V8HT 2.4GHz RF Module which I sourced from Facebook Marketplace, a 2.4GHz Antenna from T9HobbySport, and a 9.6V 600mAH AAA NiMh Battery Pack, plus On-Off switch and internal Charging Socket. The PPM Encoder Board is mounted so that the Configuration / Tell-Tale LEDs are right next to the Microswitch (as recommended by Phil), and the FrSky Bind Board is mounted facing inwards inside the upper left hand side of the case, so you have to remove the back of the case to bind to a Receiver (or to charge the Battery Pack).

The basic case is home-made, and was folded from 1/16” aluminium sheet. After folding, the aluminium was covered in Light Blue Self Adhesive Window Film. The side cheeks are made from ¼” ply (internal cheeks) and ¼” MDF (external cheeks), and were sprayed first with grey primer, then black gloss, then clear lacquer The finished case measures approx. 6” x 3 ½” x 1 ¾” (which is quite close in size to the original).

The lines of “square spirals” running up and down the sides of the case were created with Inkscape, printed on white paper, cut into 8” long strips, and glued to the aluminium with Pritt Stick, before the Light Blue Vinyl covering was applied over the top (with great care !).

The “MacGregor” and associated lettering is Arial Bold font of different sizes. The “MacGregor Thistle” logo was downloaded after searching for MacGregor Industries images online, then scaled to size. All stick-ons were then produced using black self adhesive vinyl on my Cricut Joy vinyl cutter/printer.

Again, Receiver used is a FrSky V8FR-II, and everything works as it should, thanks to Phil’s Encoder. 1 press for Right Rudder, 2 for Left, 3 for Up Elevator, and Quick-Blip to toggle Throttle.

Though I’ve mentioned him a couple of times already, I’m indebted (and many others too I believe) to Phil Green for his amazing PPM Encoder, without which these projects would surely not have proceeded.

If you’ve read this far (!) I hope you found my post to be of interest. I’m now looking forward to using my new Single Channel outfits when the weather improves, and current lockdown restrictions are eased !
Shaun

Re: RCS Guidance System and MacGregor MR 200 Transmitter look-alikes

Post by Shaun »

2 great repro tx's there Roger. I'm assuming you live in the UK with your tx choices so if you've never been before we are hoping to have the Single Channel & Retro flying event back on this year at Pontefract Racecourse again; Covid and Vaccines allowing. Possible early August but it's still in the very early planning stages at the moment.

Cheers,

Shaun
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Roger

Welcome to the forum!

Look like a fantastic job you've made of the re-creations of two of the most popular UK manufactured S/C sets. I know there is a lot more work starting from scratch rather than converting an old transmitter. What models are you planning to fly with them?

Cheers

Mike

PS I hope you don't mind but I rotated your photos so they were "upright"
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Welcome to the Forum and WELL DONE! :P Your trannies look superb...... I have originals of both these transmitters but they don't look as good as yours!

Paul
MJF

Post by MJF »

Great looking transmitters Roger. I am always amazed at the talent & work required to make one of these reproductions.
RogerMacey

Post by RogerMacey »

Thank you gents.
I live in Northampton (UK !) Shaun, so not a million miles away ! It would be great if your Single Channel event can go ahead, and I'd be happy to travel up to take part.
Thank you for rotating the pictures Mike. One day I may get the hang of doing it myself ! In terms of single channel models I currently have:
. a Dave Boddington Sub Mini (32" Super Sixty) with a Mills .75
. a J S Humphreys Sporty biplane, again with a Mills .75, about to undergo conversion from free flight to single channel
. an Eric Clutton Sharkface with brushless motor
. a Mick Tompson Frankenstein under construction, to be powered by a Mills 1.3.
And thank you Paul and MJF for your kind compliments.
Looking forward to hopefully meeting up and flying at some point.
Cheers, Roger.