R/C Sets in the 1940s

Button pushers
Mike_K

R/C Sets in the 1940s

Post by Mike_K »

Seeing a recent post by Jonathan (Wavemeter) of a book he'd recently bought, ‘Radio Control for Models’ by George Honnest-Redlich, published in 1950 by one of the renowned experts of the day (viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1201&p=10139#p10139). I realise I have many of the sets featured in the book, I thought some of you may be interested.

ED, Good Brothers and Mercury Cossor
ED, Good Brothers and Mercury Cossor

The set in the centre is a Good Brothers set, manufactured under licence by Beacon Electronics in the USA and was the first commercially produced R/C set for the hobbyist and not for the military or aviation industry. They were produced from 1946 to early 1949. My set apparently is an early version, because it only has four mounting screws near each corner, later ones had six. If you want to read more about them see the excellent R/C Hall of Fame site: http://www.rchalloffame.org/Exhibits/Ex ... index.html
Good Brothers/Beacon Electronics set
Good Brothers/Beacon Electronics set

On the right is a Mercury Cossor, the first UK manufactured R/C set for the hobby. They were first advertised in Aeromodeller in Nov 1948 and went on sale at Christmas 1949, but were very short-lived and were withdrawn early 1950 due to reliability issues. Henry J Nichols of 308 Holloway Road fame commissioned Cossor to manufacture them, similar to how Graupner got Grundig to manufacture their sets. Cossor at the time were one of the largest electronic manufacturers in the UK and produced domestic radios, early TVs, military radio and radars and electronic components. Unfortunately, the sets had intermittent problems and it wasn't traced until later that it was the Cossor manufactured valve (vacuum tube) in the receiver that was the problem. It was found if they were replaced with US war surplus valves they were as reliable as any other set of the period. They never went back into production as Henry J successfully sued Cossor and by the time it was all resolved, ED and ECC had already established themselves. In some ways, it was ahead of its times as it had rudder, elevator and throttle cut, via a rotary knob on the top with eight positions, right, neutral, up, neutral, left, neutral (or throttle cut), down and neutral, similar to early "ruddervator" control and I don't mean v-tail, but the rotating vane at the back type.
Mercury Cossor set from 1949/1950
Mercury Cossor set from 1949/1950
First ever R/C advert in the UK
First ever R/C advert in the UK

And on the left of the top photo is an ED MK3 from 1950, so not quite a '40s set, but it is basically the same as the 1949 MK1 set. The ED sets were first advertised in the Feb 1949 Aeromodeller and went on sale around April 49. They were developed by George Honnest-Redlich who wrote Jonathan's book. They were undoubtedly one of the most popular sets in the early 1950s in the UK and there are many still surviving, at the last count I had an MK1 and four MK3 single channel sets and I think Shaun has a few too. This one was bought recently from eBay and I've done is touch up some of the paint. My MK1 is on loan to the BMFA for display when covid restrictions allow.

Finally, if anybody ever has an ECC 950 R/C set from the same era that they want to part with, I'd love to buy it.

Cheers Mike
stuart mackay

Re: R/C Sets in the 1940s

Post by stuart mackay »

Great stuff, Mike and, no, 1960 is still my earliest cut-off point! :) Untl a Cossor or ED turns up! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Mike,
An ECC like this one maybe? It's "new old stock" and worked the last time I powered it up.
This was one of the first "compact" hand held tx's available.
telecommander-tx.JPG
Telecommander Internals.JPG
Telecommander RX.jpg
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Shaun wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 01:17 An ECC like this one maybe? It's "new old stock" and worked the last time I powered it up.
This was one of the first "compact" hand held tx's available.
Wow, what I lovely set Shaun, I didn't know you had an ECC set, let alone in new condition. If the covid situation improves and we have a "Ponty" meeting, can you bring it along please so I can have a look? And you'll have to be careful it doesn't finish in my car for the journey home :lol:
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Other than the Good Bros set that's the oldest one I have ..
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

Hi Mike,

A group of model flyers here in the Netherlands are going to attemp a re-enactment of the famous ED Radio Queen Channel crossing in 1954. We are aiming at April 2022, crossing the Channel twice on one day, F-GB and GB-F.
We did this already a couple of years ago, managing 1 and a half flight. We had to ditch on the return flight due to engine failure. Here's a video:
Search on "The First Aviators" to find our bunch. The plane this time will be a replica of the original Radio Queen, especially built for the event.
I was wondering what the original radio looked like. Al the reference I can find is that it was an ED Mk.4 3-channel set.

Cheers,
Max.

Edit: I did find a very small picture in an ED ad, looks like it could be the one you showed here a few posts earlier Mike.......
Last edited by MaxZ on 25 Jan 2021, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hi Max,
The Mk 4 ED set looked like the previous single channel ground based sets but had an additional remote switch box that plugged in giving you a 3 channel Reed set..
Selective rudder on 2 channels and progressive, cyclic throttle on a button.
Have a look on www.singlechannel.co.uk under the reed tab for a picture of it..

Shaun
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Max

Flying the channel with a vintage style model was a real achievement, so good luck with your next attempt! Out of interest, what engine are you planning on using? The original ED Hunter looks a bit lost in a Radio Queen, are you using something modern or just a larger diesel, such as a Taplin Twin.

I've got two ED MK4 complete with control box and receiver, but only one very poor condition actuator.
An ED family photo
An ED family photo
The black set on the right and the red set on the left are both ED MK4 transmitters, there are two MK4 receivers and two MK4 "control boxes" at the front right. The only external difference is that the MK4 has a 4-pin connector on the front for the "control box", the older MK1 and MK have a 2-pin connector for a microswitch "blip-switch". I've no idea why some ED transmitters are painted black and others red, maybe Shaun knows.

Details of the ED Radio Queen channel crossing was quite limited in Aeromodeller because the crossing was sponsored by Junior Express (a kids version of the Daily Express) and the full write-up is in there. I'd booked to go to the National Library where they have all the copies to try to get more details, but covid cancelled that visit.
A 1952 ED MK Tx
A 1952 ED MK Tx
2x ED MK4 Rx and one of the control boxes
2x ED MK4 Rx and one of the control boxes
When you do the crossing, maybe we could meet up at Dover and I'd bring along a complete ED MK4 so you could all see what was originally used?

Cheer Mike
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Mike,
There were 2 versions of the ED Mk 4 advertised on an ED pamphlet I once saw; the Miniature and Senior. Maybe that would explain the 2 case colours.

The 6 channel Mk 5 was known as the Everest I believe.
MaxZ

Post by MaxZ »

Mike_K wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 17:40 When you do the crossing, maybe we could meet up at Dover and I'd bring along a complete ED MK4 so you could all see what was originally used?
That would be a splendid idea Mike! I am certain that all of our party would love to see the original gear. Due to the time schedule, not everybody will be in the same place at the same time, some will be travelling on the ferry, a group will be aboard the fast boat guiding the plane across, and others will be ready to receive the plane on the landing site. But we will all meet up at the Coastguard pub at St. Margaret's Bay for lunch, so that could be our meeting point with you.

I will keep you posted.
Mike_K wrote: 23 Jan 2021, 17:40Out of interest, what engine are you planning on using? The original ED Hunter looks a bit lost in a Radio Queen, are you using something modern or just a larger diesel, such as a Taplin Twin.
The idea is to use an original ED Hunter, which we already acquired. We will see......

Cheers,
Max.