Im looking for an aerial for a O S pixie {transmitter}

Button pushers
iflylilplanes

Re: Im looking for an aerial for a O S pixie {transmitter}

Post by iflylilplanes »

What I will send if you want it.

overall length 975mm at the top of the thread.

Tip bead on the antenna is 6mm in diameter, and, the top half of the antenna is 471mm from the top ot the thread at the base to the top of the bead.

The full antenna I have on my Pixie is a 1/2" shorter than the one in the pic.

Dave
Cheers,

Dave
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Many thanks Dave, my antenna will only be to make it look right to those who don't have a Pixie but vaguely remember them when they see it at vintage/retro meetings ;). Your and Mike's pictures will be a big help. :P

Thanks again,

Paul
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Here's how I squeezed mine in Paul, but I did use a Corona module.

Cheers,

Shaun
IMG_20210216_113144089.jpg
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Thanks Shaun, that is very neat........ There seem to be two problems, firstly the Orange module is bigger than the Corona but also, I like to have an old-fashioned antenna (just for looks!) and at the moment that goes right down through the case, leaving not much room for anything else. I will wait till I have all the bits together and then try every which way to see if it will all go in. If not, I will have to think again about the Orange module but everything else I have uses DSM2/DSMX so the Pixie would have to have a dedicated Rx and model..... :?

Paul

PS. Sorry Dougandog, I seem to have hijacked your thread. :oops:
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Yes, the case is challenging for space. It will be an interesting excercise to try to use the original aerial but persistence usually wins out eh!
The orange hack module isn't that much bigger than the Corona. I use a 450 mAh 2s lipo but you could try the smaller rechargeable lithium PP3 style batteries that Phil has used in some of his Tx's in the past. That would give you more space.
Cheers,

Shaun.
Last edited by Shaun on 17 Feb 2021, 09:15, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Thanks Wayne, I have followed the various Pixie threads over time and hence my current project, brought about by my aquiring a 3D printer. But every build has it's own problems and every builder has their own quirks! My quirks are that I like to have all my models flyable with any of my trannies and hence the need for sticking to DSM2/DSMX and the Orange modules. I also like to have it looking as "original" as possible and that includes the antenna, with the real (2.4) antenna hidden within a dummy frequency pennant......... Never a meeting goes by without someone coming over and saying "I used to have one of those...... is it really on 27Megs?" Somehow it seems to make it all worthwhile! :P As I said, every build has it's own problems but we'll get there!

Thanks for your interest.

Paul
Wayne_H

Post by Wayne_H »

Paul, just an idea out of "left field" - what if you adjust the telescopic antenna so that it only inserts into the Tx about 25mm. i.e. move the bottom screw mount up close to the top of the case. If you don't want/need to be able to extend the telescopic antenna, you could even shorten it to maintain the correct visual perspective - make a dummy bottom section from another surplus antenna or cannibalise the antenna you have :shock:

Either way, you get more usable internal room.

Like I said, just a thought. :geek:
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Thanks Wayne, yes that is an idea I've been playing with....... :? Watch this space!

Paul