Futaba F66 and Skampy by Owen Kampen

Button pushers
mlbco

Futaba F66 and Skampy by Owen Kampen

Post by mlbco »

I restored an old Futaba F66 escapement radio I picked up on eBay by replacing all the capacitors in the receiver and oiling up the escapement. When tuned up, I could get about 450 ft of measured range and decided that maybe I could safely fly a model with it. I built a Skampy by Owen Kampen from the plans on Outer Zone and installed a Redfin SAM 35 diesel engine. The radio batteries were replaced with Li-Po's to save some weight and the model came out nose heavy, most likely from the heavy diesel instead of the recommended Cox .020. I added tail weight (!) and it trimmed out nicely on its first test flights. It is a bit under-powered but good enough to fly low around the park. The video below shows a short flight segment and the radio working. I've never exceeded the radio range and have been able to keep it on the field. I like the small transmitter with the button on a microswitch, it gives good feedback for each key.

The F66 was the first radio I owned but never really got it to work properly in my Jr. Falcon, the few flight attempts were mostly free flight. I was young at the time (11 y.o.) and not up to the challenge. I remember distinctly getting the radio as a Christmas gift and studying it for hours, especially the instructions which were printed on the box. It seemed magical that I could push a button and the little light in the receiver would turn on, I wish I was so easily impressed these days. Flying a small model with that radio was on my bucket list for 50 years and now I can finally say I did it.

Steve