OS Pixie

Button pushers
PaulJ

OS Pixie

Post by PaulJ »

I have finally got all the bits together and finished the OS Pixie...... The case is printed using Mike-K's files so well done and big thanks to Mike for putting them on the forum! It was certainly the most "awkward" installation I have done, mainly because of the bolt that goes through the middle to hold the front on but also because there just isn't much room in there! The breakthrough was the new Lemon Transmitter module which is tiny. I had to "trim" Phil's s/c module but it now fits very snugly in the top of the case and the two LEDs are conveniently in just the right place for the two small holes in the case. The hole in the top of the case, which I think Mike intended for the 2.4 antenna was a good place to put the bind button and I drilled a new hole for the dummy 27MHz antenna, which is now in the same position as on the original......
Pixie8.jpg
Pixie9.jpg
All that is left now is to range check it and then fly with it. :P

Paul
Wayne_H

Re: OS Pixie

Post by Wayne_H »

Great job Paul :)

The Pixie was my first R/C set, so will always hold a special spot in my modelling life ;) - The fact that I worked for 6 weeks over the summer school break shoveling gut in the local abattoirs to pay for it enhances(?) that memory :shock: :lol:

I especially liked then, and still do now, the feel and the balance of the Tx. I think you'll love the feel of your Pixie Tx when you fly it too, as it just sits so well in the hand.

What are you going to fly it in?
Cheers,

Wayne
Once a Retrobate, always a Retrobate............ ;)
tiptipflyer

Post by tiptipflyer »

Well done Paul.
As Wayne says, the Pixie feels good in your hand.
I meanwhile have three of the replicas using Mike-K´s files (thank you Mike) one with the NRF24, one on 35MHz and one using an Orange 2.4G module.
They all work well.

Frank
Mike_K

Post by Mike_K »

Hi Paul

It's great to see another OS Pixie MK2 completed. As usual, it looks like you've made a fantastic job of it. And you're correct, there's not much took inside! The Lemon Rx module nearly seems lost inside, it's definitely going to be the new favourite for tight installations

Cheers Mike
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Thanks for your comments, yes it does sit nicely in the hand...... I range tested it yesterday and it was still solid at 60+ mtrs with the Bind/Low Power button pressed so I think that'll do. Wayne, I have several models that I could test it with but I'll probably test fly it with the venerable "Hep Cat" which I flew the other day and is currently charged and ready to go......
Hep2.jpg

All I need now is some decent weather! :roll:

Paul
Ken Binks

Post by Ken Binks »

Just to confirm Paul’s OS Pixie sc conversion performed faultlessly. The veron mini robot flew beautifully.
After 55 year off the button😳 I kept expecting the skipped command and ready to catch the next control. It never did!!
Rock solid. Would have to fly it a some more to learn the glide angle for those spot landing challenges😜 see you at PANDAS in July??
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Was there a link to the actual build of this unit.
Have seen snippets here and there but no link to a build.
PaulJ

Post by PaulJ »

Bluejets, there was no build posting as such other than this thread. As with most of these installations, it was not difficult or particularly "technical", just a bit fiddly trying to get it all in there and I think most of the problems are covered by the photo and the original posting. Any difficulty is in finding the appropriate bits and pieces to fit in the case! If you are intending to build one and have any problems, feel free to ask! :P

Paul
Phil_G

Post by Phil_G »

bluejets wrote: 07 Jan 2022, 07:17 Was there a link to the actual build of this unit.
Have seen snippets here and there but no link to a build.
Heres my Mk1 Pixie Jeff (even smaller!, mostly flown in the Irvine Pixie glider):
viewtopic.php?p=1117#p1117

and the NRF FHSS Pixie (as flown many times in the 'Moonbeam II' S/C slope soarer)
viewtopic.php?p=8332#p8332

Cheers
Phil