S/C- Its a growing sport

Button pushers
JohnRogers

S/C- Its a growing sport

Post by JohnRogers »

The Northampton Model Aero Club has some members with a keen interest in Single Channel, G Ghost and Reeds.

Here are 4 members at the field today. Roger, Dave, Gareth and John. Gareth builds and programs his own set, the rest of us uses the Phil Green encoder.
IMG_0653.jpg
bluejets

Re: S/C- Its a growing sport

Post by bluejets »

Totally agree.
Had an old tech teacher here who always maintained the young fellas should learn to build aircraft that actually fly rather than get hauled around by some massive piece of aluminium up front.
Even these days we still see rather large scale old style aircraft with massively overpowered engines.
One might say, well keep it throttled down low.
However, they never do and it is quite unimpressive, at least to me, to see say a Sopwith running close to a 40 size pylon racer.
Great work fellas....love it.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hey Bluejets don't lump all WW1 enthusiasts together. :( The Dawn Patrol display team I'm part of, prides itself in the accurate way we fly our 1/3 scale replicas at the various shows. I can assure you when you've spent hundreds of hours recreating these early gems the last thing you do is hurl it around the sky performing wild aerobatics tempting fate trying to snap a flying wire and watch it pile in. We only fly the manoeuvres the full size was capable of. ;)

Shaun.
JohnRogers

Post by JohnRogers »

I know what you mean, I often see vertical take off spitfires and SE5A's
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Shaun wrote: 28 May 2021, 13:15 Hey Bluejets don't lump all WW1 enthusiasts together. :(
Shaun.
Don't know where you read that into my comment.

If you are a minority, so be it and respect you for it.

However, I'll bet you'll see a "pylon racing Sopwith" many times before a graceful scale flyer.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

bluejets wrote: 28 May 2021, 10:21 However, they never do and it is quite unimpressive, at least to me, to see say a Sopwith running close to a 40 size pylon racer.
Here you go, this is where I gleaned the inference from :- Sopwith - WW1

We must fly at different venue types though.. Never seen any pylon racing Sopwith's or SE5A's at LMA, Euroflugtag or the BMFA shows I go to. Large scale WW1 has a large following throughout europe.... The Italian guys have some fantastic 1/2 scale Nieuport's that look majestic in the air.

Still if flying aerobatics with this type of model floats your boat then why not, they're only toys at the end of the day; admittedly big boys big toys. 😄😄.

Different strokes for different folks eh!

Shaun.
bluejets

Post by bluejets »

Shaun wrote: 29 May 2021, 12:20
bluejets wrote: 28 May 2021, 10:21 However, they never do and it is quite unimpressive, at least to me, to see say a Sopwith running close to a 40 size pylon racer.
We must fly at different venue types though.. Never seen any pylon racing Sopwith's or SE5A's
If you're ever down under, any rc field will have them.
Getting off the subject though, point of my comments and admiration were the fellas that build and fly aircraft which actually fly and follow some degree of aerodynamics rather that plonkers jamming large bits of aluminium up front and flying at or near the speed of light.