Tri-ang flown

Button pushers
PaulJ

Tri-ang flown

Post by PaulJ »

With the perfect still and grey skies of yesterday, I simply couldn't resist test flying my latest conversion...... A Tri-ang ground based transmitter.
Hep Cat - Tri-ang1.jpg
The tranny is "50s" and model is my venerable Hep Cat from the early 40s. The conversion uses an Orange JR compatible plug in Tx module and Phil's standard single channel encoder though there is so much room in the box that (for posterity) I have left all the original electronics in there and there is still room for my lunch!
Tri-ang innards.jpg
20211116_091558[1].jpg
Presumably because of it's proximity to the ground, ground-range is potentially an issue at only around 250yds but because of the fact that the model is very stable and flies very slowly and the conditions were perfect with absolutely no wind, I decided to risk it and had two flights with no problems, both times landing on it's wheels back on the strip........ So one way and another, you can't get much more "retro" than that and it was a very enjoyable outing, :P

Paul
Tobe

Re: Tri-ang flown

Post by Tobe »

The perfect lunchbox, if you keep it on the valve will keep the pie warm, a dual function Tx well done Paul

Cheers
Cheers,

Tobe
Spike S

Post by Spike S »

250 Yards ground range ? That's at least three times what I used to get from a Terrytone Tx. The air range often seemed to drop to zero as soon as model left the hand !
Just revel in the nostalgia of 'Guided Free-Flight'. Success is landing in the same field a takeoff. You can scoff the pie until it circles round again. :D
Spike S
(Tune for maximum smoke)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Paul, I have some sturdy microswitches very similar to the originals used on ED sets etc. They were from the undercarriage doors on a Meteor from memory. Want one? Also give me a ping re the Sanwa set you wanted..

Shaun