Single Channel flying in New Zealand

Button pushers
Nick M

Re: Single Channel flying in New Zealand

Post by Nick M »

Thanks John - makes sense - never thought of that

I'm going to make a flat plate as well and then try that to compare

What effect does moving the CG aft (or forwards) on a lifting tail - I think its' slightly further forward that on the plan

Christmas project - really want to get the WoZ flying for sentimental reasons. I remember reading the designers fairly copious notes on outerzone and happier to crash this into a hill rather than my more elegant Zeitgeist...
John Ryan

Post by John Ryan »

Hi again Nick
A foward CG will require a little more up trim and a rearward CG will require less up trim.
Moving the CG back might help reduce the tendency to drop the nose in a turn but won't eliminate it.
If you get the CG to far back the model will hunt up and down in level straight flight and no amount of adjusting the trim will get rid of it.
By adjusting the trim I mean packing the tail as we don't have an elevator trim tab on out S/C transmitters.

Regards
John
Nick M

Post by Nick M »

Thanks John

Really helpful - especially useful to have the symptoms!

I'll give it a go over Christmas

Best

Nick
flea_flyer

Post by flea_flyer »

Hi John
A belated "thank you" is in order for posting the pdf of the Angus Macdonald Hummingbird. It is very much appreciated! I have a spare Mills 0.75 that should be a good fit for this model.
Gerry
John Ryan

Post by John Ryan »

That Mill 75 will be ideal. Hope you can post a pix or two when completed.
Cheers
John
flea_flyer

Post by flea_flyer »

John
The plan shows 28 degrees of dihedral (14 degrees per side). I imagine this was fine for free flight. I thought a bit less would be in order for single channel (i.e., rudder only) operation, say 10 degrees per side. I will be flying single channel proportional, at least for the time being. Your thoughts?
Gerry
John Ryan

Post by John Ryan »

Yes the dihedral is generous. Certainly made a very stable F/F model. I have reduced the dihedral on mine to about 2/3 which works well. Even at 1/2 with proportional should work well.
John