Adams Pulser

Button pushers
waynew17

Adams Pulser

Post by waynew17 »

I ran across Phils G's article titled "not quite Galloping Ghost". I was most impress with the relative simplicity of construction of this little pulser. I now have parts on hand to build a few but I have a question on the 12F683 PIC chip.

Does this chip require programming for this specific application? If so, where can I find the sketch?

Thanks
Tobe

Re: Adams Pulser

Post by Tobe »

Are you talking about a "GG-recoder" so you can run a galloping ghost actuator of some kind from a regular modern receiver? If that is the case there are a few simpler options with a Digispark and DRV8838, please let me know and I will be happy to help you.
viewtopic.php?t=1102
All this recoder option works either with a single channel eg. Adams or a rudder/elevator Rand but you have to separate the power to the actuator as this is normally 2,4v - 3,6v for the original ones.
This recoders will recognize if you connect to rudder/elevator or a rudder only actuator.
The Pic always need to be programmed accordingly so you have to get in touch with Phil.

Cheers

Tobe
Cheers,

Tobe
Martin

Post by Martin »

Yes, PIC chips, of which the 12F683 is one such, require programming. You need some programming hardware, such as a PICkit, the software toolchain on your PC, and, of course, either a hex file to burn to the chip or the source code; also some learning if you've never done it before. I don't know if Phil ever released the code for his PIC-based designs. In any case, unless you already have the programming gear, it will be cheaper to buy a board, or maybe a programmed chip, from Phil.

Phil's not been active on this forum recently. You can likely find more details on Phil & Shaun's Single Channel and Vintage R/C pages His email given on that forum is philg@talk21.com

Edit to add: cross-posted with Tobe.
waynew17

Post by waynew17 »

Thanks so much for the replies. I found Phil's article on Phil and Shaun's Single Channel & Vintage R/C Page under the Archive section:

[P7] Documentation for building the onboard pulser for 'Adams-style' magnetic actuators for modern, convenional propo radio sets

It appears the Pulser was designed to drive old Adams-style magnetic actuators with conventional radios. I was attracted to this because it only used two chips, a capacitor, and simply wrapped up with heat shrink. Small size and weight of 5 - 6 grams. I thought it would be a good candidate for some of Ken Willard's old 1/4A and 1/2A designs.

I did attempt to contact Phil via email (PhilG@talk21.com) with no response, so I reached out here. While I have not yet flashed any chips, I do have the hardware and software to do so. I am retired and looking forward to the challenge. The hardware was purchased as I also plan to build the GG Recoder for DigiSpark and DRV8838 bridge to drive a GG-Mini that I 3D printed.

Thanks again for your responses,

Wayne
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

...to my knowledge Phil never shared the code for the Pic.
I will be happy to send you one of my recoders based on the ATTiny88 which is actually the same size and you would have the option of either one with the additional PWM control for the actuator so you don't need to worry about dual power sources as this is set in the software.
With this recoder I fly everything from PageBoy to Blunderbird with both original as my own actuators.
Cheers,

Tobe
waynew17

Post by waynew17 »

Thanks again for all your input.

Phil was good enough to contact me today via email and send me the hex code for the chip. His generosity and love of this hobby always amazes me.

I will also build a decoder using the ATTiny88 and DRV8838 boards as you recommended since I have the parts for those also. I just need to make sure I locate the most current sketch that you are using.

Thanks Again,

Wayne