Yet another Digimac 1+1

Button pushers
Adrian_H

Yet another Digimac 1+1

Post by Adrian_H »

I came across this site and singlechannel.co.uk thanks to the article in the June 2022 RCME and a chance comment from another club member that old R/C gear 'might be wanted by some for conversion'... Having built an RCME FM Mk III, and a few other electronic projects, a long long time ago I thought 'maybe...I could try that'.

My first R/C set was a Digimac 1+1 back in 1974, duly retrieved from its slumber and armed with Phil_G's encoder and a LemonRx Tx module for my Spektrum Rx's I set to work.
Digimac 1+1
Digimac 1+1
Tx Mount 3D print
Tx Mount 3D print
Tx_mount.jpeg (11.99 KiB) Viewed 3536 times
Two little holes in top at front are for the Tx module LED's, I found a genuine 1970's spring-loaded 'slide to make' switch to match the on/off for bind which is on the top. Another club member kindly 3D printed a mounting for the Tx module.

Not having a suitable 'plane, I built a 'Poppet' and had to wait a while before a beautiful calm day dawned in October.
‘Poppet’ using Digimac 1+1 and ‘Hepcat’ using Skyleader with S/C emulation.
‘Poppet’ using Digimac 1+1 and ‘Hepcat’ using Skyleader with S/C emulation.
Poppet flies very well, can't believe I learnt to fly with the 1+1 in a KK Outlaw. The Hepcat I built a few years back and tried to fly it proportional, I scaled back the initial motor fitted and increased the rudder slightly so it's passably controllable for ROG. Then I was 'gifted' a Skyleader set by a member doing a final workshop clearance. Filled with confidence, armed with a USBASP programmer and a DIYMore board I downloaded Phil_G's 7Ch encoder and set to work. Using the pre-punched holes for some of the knobs and switches perhaps wasn't the best choice, but the Skyleader is now converted and fitted with the S/C controls. Bound to the Hepcat the 'compound' S/C - with suitable rates to manage the enlarged rudder - now commands her in flight as intended...

There are a few other projects I've downloaded and are underway.

It's good to see this side of the hobby hasn't vanished with the advent of 2.4GHz, thank you to all who've made the sketches etc available!
Last edited by Adrian_H on 12 Nov 2022, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.
Phil_G

Re: Yet another Digimac 1+1

Post by Phil_G »

Happy days, I still get a kick from others having a go at these projects and the Poppet is a great choice. Thanks Adrian! :D
Its really encouraging to see some Single Channel activity here, the forum has been very quiet on the S/C front. The S/C Emulation mix on the 7ch encoder is a very forgiving way to re-learn the ancient art of button bashing, its a great confidence booster having that safety-net.
Whats next, a Reeds set? :D
Cheers
Phil
Stew

Post by Stew »

Hi Phil. I have the S/C emulator working with the 7ch encoder on my beautiful old Micron FM6D set. It's perfect for having a play with the button and then coming back to sticks for landing or nearer the ground when my bottle goes.... :)
And my updating of an old rusty RCS S/C set is now complete. All repainted, new 2.4Ghz innards, nice new decal, and works a treat. Happy days.
I shall post some photos.

Stew.
Tobe

Post by Tobe »

If it isn't on youTube or on photo it doesn't exist.....
Cheers,

Tobe
Adrian_H

Post by Adrian_H »

Phil_G wrote: 08 Nov 2022, 13:19 ...
Whats next, a Reeds set? :D
Cheers
Phil
Yes...I've got the board and a few bits, need to get switches and a casing!