Ergonomics

Button pushers
Stew

Ergonomics

Post by Stew »

Hi all.
In a small effort to add some discussion to the single channel section...
Button positions. I think the position of the button and the tactile feel of the button is very important. How do you feel about this? Which manufacturers in your opinion got it right, or wrong?
For example, my RCS set feels good and solid, a lovely click, but my Pathfinder set not so much. I don't like the on-off feel or the spongy button action.
When you've only got one action, that action becomes quite important. It needs to be reassuring..
For those of you who used these sets 40 or 50 years ago or more, how important was it to you?
People talk about stick feel these days, so how was the button?
Shaun

Re: Ergonomics

Post by Shaun »

Very important to me. A good positive click but not too much force for fast operation, as I tended to use Elmic Compacts with kick up ele; so positive response was KEY 😄

I tended to discount sets that didn't have a "proper " micro switch.

Shaun
PaulJ

Re: Ergonomics

Post by PaulJ »

Yes, a positive "click" (Microswitch) is important but also the position of the button on the front of the box. I am Right-Handed and so normally like to fly with my Right thumb on the button. However I also launch the model with my Right hand and sometimes you need to make the first command very quickly after launching and before you can get your thumb from launching the model to the button so it needs to be possible to also use the transmitter with the Left thumb. Therefore I like the button to be in the middle of the tranny so it can be operated with either thumb. I really like the OS Pixie which has the button on the side of the box so this too can be operated with either hand. I have also had occasions when my oily thumb has slipped off the button so yes, not too hard a press and a good hard edge and /or a surround which will help to prevent your thumb slipping.

Paul