Magazine Tx/Rx plans

Button pushers
Stew

Magazine Tx/Rx plans

Post by Stew »

Hi all.
I have a hankering to build some of the simple single channel transmitters/receivers mentioned in this forum from the likes of ancient RCM&E/Aeromodeller magazines. Is it possible that if you have any such articles you could scan them and post them here? The one from the May 1961 RCM&E mentioned by Shaun looks interesting.
It's one thing reading about these old systems, but I tend to learn a lot more by building and getting 'hands-on'
As a beginner it's all quite fascinating.

Many thanks

Stew.
Phil_G

Re: Magazine Tx/Rx plans

Post by Phil_G »

The RM 'Singlet' takes some beating, anything by Paul Newell is guaranteed Image
The 'Singlet' article is in the documents section.
Cheers
Phil
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

For a bit of fun you could make the ABC Valve / Transistor hybrid carrier wave pulse Tx and Aeromodeller Valve / transistor Rx; works a treat,pretty simple to build. Only issue is finding a 5K relay for it. There are designs for other all transistor carrier wave ones around though. Then make a simple fly-ball actuator. They were surprisingly powerful
abctxfront1.JPG
abctxinner.JPG
abctxpcb.JPG
aeromodeller rx5.JPG
aeromodeller rx2.JPG
Complete set up with Flyball actuator
ABC Carrier Wave, Valvepulse  set with the Aeromodeller Rx and home made flyball actuator.jpg
Cheers,

Shaun
Stew

Post by Stew »

Great ingenuity by the early pioneers of R/C. I will certainly have a go at such a project. Who knows, It may even work! Dad used to bring me old valve home radios to take to pieces as a child, so I guess actually making one work would bring it full circle. (and perhaps negate some bad Karma for destroying those old sets...)
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hi Stew,

The ABC set up is my favourite build over the last few years. Great fun, different and rewarding when it fired up.

Shaun..
RON
Site Admin

Post by RON »

Stew wrote: 05 Mar 2018, 19:29 Dad used to bring me old valve home radios to take to pieces as a child,
I can remember my mum and dad buying a brand new air band radio for Christmas early 70s, apparently I took it to bits and made a doorbell :lol:
My sister still ribs me about it though I can’t remember doing it.

Ron.
G0MBV Class A Radio Amateur, North Yorkshire
Stew

Post by Stew »

Ha Haaaaaa! Nice one! The force is strong with you Ron!

One of my favourite presents as a spotty youth was a small airband receiver. I would spend hours at Teesside or Newcastle listening to the Pilots. It paid off when I eventually got my PPL and flight radio telephony operators licence, and discovered that the radios in the average light aircaft pre-dated Marconi's Grandad...
flea_flyer

Post by flea_flyer »

I realise this thread is now three years old, but here goes, anyway!
Like Stew, I am also interested in building a single-channel transmitter and have a copy of the Paul Newell 'Singlet Set' booklet. I like the look of Paul's circuit with its push-pull output stage. I have some old superhet relay and relayless receivers that will work with the transmitter, though whether I will fly with the system remains to be seen...
My main motive is to re-visit the old radio techniques that I used in younger days as a radio amateur. There are some challenges, though. I have not been able to find any of the 1/4" slug-tuned coil formers here is Oz so will probably try to re-design using toroids and trimmer capacitors, unless anyone reading this has any formers they don't want. I will look forward (back?) to making my own folded aluminium case, etc.
On the plus side, modern technology does confer a few advantages - I will use a re-chargeable lithium ion battery to save on batteries.
Once a project is up and running, I will post some photos of my progress.
Gerry
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Hi Gerry,

I'm certain MacGregor used 1/4" formers on their Digimac tx propo sets.

A number of people on here have converted them to 2.4 so may have the old boards laying around.

Rgds,

Shaun.
flea_flyer

Post by flea_flyer »

Thanks Shaun
That's an angle I had not thought of. I will put a call out to anyone who may have some formers that I can use.
Gerry